Need advice from experienced divers/Techs - MK5 Swivel Turret - VIDEOS INCL! plz help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not an expert like the others, but I have serviced enough MK5's to know that the turret bolt is a very weak point of the regulator. Even if yours was fine after service I would now be concerned because to the rocking torque you applied to it while pressurized. I personally converted my MK5's to MK8's but might change them back now that SS turret bolts are available.

If you want to see how a MK-5 goes together, here is a YouTube video.

[video=youtube;BBPdwOXbddk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBPdwOXbddk[/video]

Thanks for all the info guys,

Great video ams511, it really does look simple to work on these regulators, awesome. Looks like ill have to start learning, excited.

NotSure - when I applied the "rocking torque", I barley moved it, that should have been about the same or less pressure than if it was actually being used on a dive. The swivel usually rotates and such while swimming around on top/under water. BUT it does have too much play and I can see how that can damage it. You should get those SS bolts if you have a chance, return those bad boys to their original glory :cool2:

Sadly, like awap mentioned, I can fit a nail under either side of the regulator :( clear gap in-between the swivel and body. Can see right to the other side. Cant wait to have those bolts! (maybe I should order a service kit?....torque wrench....special tools....etc :D)

I will update as time goes along (pictures/videos included)

Thanks again fellas, great knowledge

I would not be too concerned about the SS vs brass turret bolt unless it's been severely over torqued by the dive shop. The brass ones work just fine; the problems occur when they're manhandled.

Great video ams511, it really does look simple to work on these regulators, awesome. Looks like ill have to start learning, excited.

A MK-5 is pretty simple to work on. The video doesn't show the disassembly, cleaning, or o-ring assembly but that is pretty easy. As far as MK-5 tools go, it is nice to have the Scubapro tool, piston bullet, Yoke nut socket, and picks, besides the torque wrench. There are some work arounds. Also Herman sells some of these tools.

Couv, Halocline, AWAP, and Zung are the masters of regulator repair and are very helpful.

Awesome ams511! Thanks for those links!

starting to think that maybe I should take a tech course? Or possibly somehow have someone teach me the "tech" involved in doing the dis-assembly, clean/inspection/o-rings/lube...etc...just to make sure I do it correctly. The piece of mind and self content must be the best feeling when your under with your self serviced gear :)

halocline, I'm not sure of the bolt inside (ignorance on my part) if its brass or ss, being said, I would still want to change it assuming its the original one since from who knows when. Plus not knowing if any "stress" damage was done after the shop "serviced" my gear.

On a similar note, my second stages (Conshelf 12 with Conshelf 21 octo) also got serviced at the same time, are the diaphragm's supposed to be changed with new ones? or left alone if fine? Looks like the 21 has the original diaphragm, and when I took a breath (right after the o-ring change in the first stage) it "squeaked" for the first couple of breaths. Little clues like that which lead me to believe the shop did not service my regs correctly, let alone test them.

Anyway, some good news! I got my NEW - DIN style - first stage in the mail today

It's a XS scuba, Highland Series - Compact First Stage. Has two LP and one HP. Love the smell of new marine chrome plated brass in the afternoon :)
Cant wait to test it out.

xs scubs 2.jpg xs scubs.jpg

As always, thanks for the input guys!

I would not be too concerned about the SS vs brass turret bolt unless it's been severely over torqued by the dive shop. The brass ones work just fine; the problems occur when they're manhandled.
I would not be concern if it were not for the amount of slop in the turret on the OP's regulator. I have noticed some slop in MK5 turrets but his might be excessive. Could this be the result of necking of the turret bolt? Maybe as mentioned earlier the nylon washer was lost and replaced with thinner one. I think the fact that Scubapro made the MK10 turret bolt at least a hundred times stronger and started making stainless bolts for the MK5 means there is good reason to be concerned. Even the MK5 clones made by other manufacturers that I have seen have the heavier MK10 style turret bolts.

NotSure, that's why I plan on changing the bolt lol like you mentioned, all the clones and later model regs, had a upgrade and SS swap. There is most deff. excessive play. Plus I bet that washer is missing like you all mentioned. Better safe than sorry....especially under water lol

On a proper second stage service the o-rings and the seat are replaced. The mouthpiece, exhaust valve, and diaphragm are replaced as needed. I would not worry about squeaking, this happens sometimes and is not a problem.

I think your going about this wrong. Your mixing and matching brands which can cause a PITA in service because your dive shop may not be an Aqua-Lung and Scubapro or Highland dealer. You would be better off standardizing on one brand for the first and second stages. The brand of gauges doesn't matter.

---------- Post added March 11th, 2015 at 11:28 PM ----------

It's a XS scuba, Highland Series - Compact First Stage. Has two LP and one HP. Love the smell of new marine chrome plated brass in the afternoon :) Cant wait to test it out.

You do realize that with only two LP ports this reg was designed as a regulator for a stage bottle or for argon. You could use it as a primary but you would need an octo/inflator. If you check the reviews on DRIS you will see most divers are using it for dry suit inflation.

Last edited:
On a proper second stage service the o-rings and the seat are replaced. The mouthpiece, exhaust valve, and diaphragm are replaced as needed. I would not worry about squeaking, this happens sometimes and is not a problem.

I think your going about this wrong. Your mixing and matching brands which can cause a PITA in service because your dive shop may not be an Aqua-Lung and Scubapro or Highland dealer. You would be better off standardizing on one brand for the first and second stages. The brand of gauges doesn't matter.

---------- Post added March 11th, 2015 at 11:28 PM ----------

You do realize that with only two LP ports this reg was designed as a regulator for a stage bottle or for argon. You could use it as a primary but you would need an octo/inflator. If you check the reviews on DRIS you will see most divers are using it for dry suit inflation.

Guess the diaphragms where OK then, and left in the regulators. The squeaking has now turned into a "stutter" a bit weird. But I will use this wk/end and see how it does.

Never knew that mixing regulators mattered too much? First stage's (in general) all have an average IP, and the seconds, are made to work within that IP pressure right?
confused.gif
Why would mixing brands be a bad thing? (unless its tech gear/special)

Regarding the Highland regulator, I have indeed done my homework BEFORE purchasing
icosm14.gif
Good eye tho:

There happens to be TWO models of this regulator:

http://www.diveseekers.com/Highland_...p/xs-hl405.htm - This is the Argon version.

Factory set I.P. at 115 to 125 psi
on 3000 psi

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detai...StageRegulator - This is the regular version (nitrox ready)

Factory set at 135 to 145 psi (9.3 to 10 bars) intermediate at 3000 psi (200 bars) cylinder pressure.

http://www.xsscuba.com/highland.html - Here is XS site. About 1/3 way down the page, they have the description of both the Argon and Air compact regulators.

I originally planned on using the Highland on my Pony bottle slung off my BCD with a button SPG. BUT since my MK5 is a bit sketchy, I am going to use it as my pony reg. until serviced, and use the Highland as my main just till said time.

The regulator is deff. not a main to be used all the time. I tested, and it breathes a bit hard (possibly because new?) but for a pony/backup its perfect as I initially intended. (looks and feels great for what it is, XS gear is nice)

Ill see if I can post pictures of the MK5 on my pony and the Highland on the main.

Thanks as always!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom