Need Advice: Best Value Travel BPW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rondobo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everybody,

as I have received stellar feedback for my reg selection already, I am turning to the last frontier in my equipment journey: a BCD.

I have done a bit of research alraeady, and I am considering to do the GUE fundies in the next year(s), I am strongly considering a DIR compliant BPW setup.
For now, I will mostly:
- do warm water diving while travelling, so ST (majority), with some cold water dives on the side
- dive recreationally, but very interested of getting more into tech, and definitely will visit some wrecks and maybe caves

I have no problem with spending more on the setup, but want to optimize value for money (and spend some more money on diving if spending more does not increase quality noticeably). I am in the EU, so some prices are different than in the US, so will post prices for the bpw setups I had a look at.
A very important concern is how large the bpw will pack and its weight as I mainly look at it for travelling. However, it can be a bit bigger if it is of higher quality or more versatile/future proof.

I am still considering if I should go with the Scubapro Hydros Pro as a Hybrid. I know its not DIR compliant and technically not a bpw, but seems to find a lot of positive resonance here, packs small, drys quickly and is reliable. My LDS offers this to me for around 650€.

I am strongly considering the XDeep Ghost and Zen, which go for around 530€ or 560€, respectively (+ additional weight/trim pockets) with the standard DIR compliant harness. I know the Ghost packs lighter, but the Zen seems to be of a bit higher quality (but provides a lot of lift for warm water dives).

I know Halcyon is the go to brand, and has great quality and customer service, but options like the Adventurer Pro go for 1200€ here. So the questions would be if the quality is really noticeably superior to the other options.
The OMS smart stream, which seems to be sold by all GUE/DIR shops, goes for 700€.
I have also seen the ultralight Helium Titanium Setup, but have only read some very brief reviews about it. I think this will also run > 1k in total.

Also, am I missing any brands I should look at? Is mixing and matching a better option than going for a set?
I appreciate any feedback of you guys that have experience with multiple brands -- and am happy about any pointers into the right direction.

Thank you so much,
Rondobo

Since you plan on doing fundies, if I were you, I would look for a GUE compliant BPW setup. That’ll leave out Hydros Pro but you won’t end up spending more than necessary.

Also, it’s a good idea to start using the gear you’ll take the class with.

If you already have an instructor in mind, I’d reach out and have a conversation with them about this.

Several vendors have DIR harnesses, In the US, Piranha Dive MFG has a pretty basic one with Al backplate that I started with for $130. That with a wing and good to go. GUE usually means back mount doubles so you need a bit bigger wing depending on where you are training. However, reading your post, I would start with a smaller wing which travels easier. I paired the DIR harness with a HOG 23lb wing for many single tank dives(~$240). Check if you need cam bands. A DIR harness doesn't really need to be purchased, just order 7m of 50mm webbing, 3 d rings, 5 toothed slides, a belt buckle, a backplate and if you don't feel like sewing, a pre-made 50mm crotch strap. You will need a 6mm grommet and a hammer. All of this can be had from Ali under $100USD (including the hammer)

You can always add a doubles wing later for GUE. I think you will want a single wing anyway as bungees on a double wing is less elegant and harder to pack.

I have also seen the ultralight Helium Titanium Setup, but have only read some very brief reviews about it. I think this will also run > 1k in total.
I am not sure I would call Helium gear ultralight. I love the quality and strength of my Helium backplate and harness, but aluminum hardware is lighter, some aluminum backplates are too.

I travel with an xdeep ghost and really like it. The aluminum backplate fits in every bag I own, and since the wing is a single layer it dries very fast and packs small. I remove the STA and cam bands and roll up the wing for packing, everything else stays on the backplate, wrapping the harness and weight pockets tightly around the plate for a compact unit. I also mounted trim pockets directly to the plate behind my shoulder blades to distribute weight for optimal trim, and not have weight hanging off the cam bands.

The Zen and Ghost are identical quality, the only difference is the wing that comes with a Zen is a more typical bladder inside a exterior shell, which is just fine, would be tougher, but also a little bulkier, and the Zen backplate is wider than the Ghost. In the EU, you can get really good deals on either and have better/cheaper access to replacement components if necessary.

You could go slightly lighter with a carbon fiber backplate in other brands, but saving a few grams for twice the price didn't seem like a great tradeoff, an aluminum plate is pretty lightweight as-is.

Back home, diving steel tanks and a drysuit, I have an extremely typical stainless backplate and 30lb wing set up DIR style, and didn't try to force one set of equipment to compromise for both use cases.

SS BP, 30# wing, one-piece harness. It isn’t complicated. Mine have been from here to Palau and the Red Sea without issue.

Really appreciate all your replies!

Hydros pro
Thank you! What makes you lean towards to Hydros pro?

If you already have an instructor in mind, I’d reach out and have a conversation with them about this.
Very good point, thank you! So far, I have no instructor in mind -- but will start looking around.

Check if you need cam bands. A DIR harness doesn't really need to be purchased, just order 7m of 50mm webbing, 3 d rings, 5 toothed slides, a belt buckle, a backplate and if you don't feel like sewing, a pre-made 50mm crotch strap. You will need a 6mm grommet and a hammer. All of this can be had from Ali under $100USD (including the hammer)
I am not sure I would call Helium gear ultralight. I love the quality and strength of my Helium backplate and harness, but aluminum hardware is lighter, some aluminum backplates are too.
Thank you two, very helpful! Note taken on the Titanium! One question I have when contrasting options, e.g., buying from Aliexpress or an established vendor, is what distinguishes quality when it comes to harness and the wing? For the wing I imagine, besides weight it is the CNC quality (attention to detail, edges, cutout spacing etc.) -- what differentiates harnesses? Any materials or characteristics to watch out for?

The Zen and Ghost are identical quality, the only difference is the wing that comes with a Zen is a more typical bladder inside a exterior shell, which is just fine, would be tougher, but also a little bulkier, and the Zen backplate is wider than the Ghost. In the EU, you can get really good deals on either and have better/cheaper access to replacement components if necessary.
That was really helpful, thanks for your insights! I might need to see those two side by side to see how much smaller the Ghost packs as this would be a decisive factor. Just a few more questions: Do you have any problem with the inflator hose being in the middle and does this require a longer hose? How do you judge the quality of accessories like weight and trim pockets? How do you like the Y-shaped crotch strap?

SS BP, 30# wing, one-piece harness. It isn’t complicated. Mine have been from here to Palau and the Red Sea without issue.
Thanks! Any reason to bring a SS instead of a AL plate? Any vendors (either established or on Ali/Temu) you can recommend for harness, bp, and wing?

I would look very hard at the used market. I got a halcyon 60lbs wing for 50$ earlier - replace the inflator and its like new.

Buying used you will get the travel setup AND a "doubles GUE Cold water rig" for the same budget you'll get the travel setup at.

I would look very hard at the used market. I got a halcyon 60lbs wing for 50$ earlier - replace the inflator and its like new.
Great point -- I have already setup my notifications for "German Craigslist" -- but so far, the market is moving very slowly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom