Need a warm place to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeshrs

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does anyone know of any place in the North Alabama area to dive during the cold months...indoor pools, tanks, etc?

Hello and welcome to ScubaBoard!

This is a big site, with lots of subforums. It will take you a while to figure it all out. I am going to move the thread you started to a regional forum we have that includes Alabama. You are more likely to get a good, knowledgeable response there.

Hmmm, I don't know if this will be of any help, but shorediving is a site that provides some info on dive site. I'll provide the link anyways for you to see if there are any dive areas near you: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Alabama, USA East Hope you find a dive site you're looking for :)

The OP is apparently looking for local places in North Alabama to get wet in the winter. I stayed in Gulf Shores on the Alabama coast for a week in early March last year, and I learned that there is pretty much no local diving going on there even then. One shop I contacted asked me if I realized that the water temperature there was only in the mid 60s that time of the year. Being from Colorado and having my dry suit with me, I was having trouble seeing the issue, but apparently the locals don't get into the water until it gets warmer.

The OP is apparently looking for local places in North Alabama to get wet in the winter. I stayed in Gulf Shores on the Alabama coast for a week in early March last year, and I learned that there is pretty much no local diving going on there even then. One shop I contacted asked me if I realized that the water temperature there was only in the mid 60s that time of the year. Being from Colorado and having my dry suit with me, I was having trouble seeing the issue, but apparently the locals don't get into the water until it gets warmer.

That's unfortunate. I'm going on a road trip down there next week. I was thinking of bringing my gear with my dry suit.

well I'm from panama city, I have been in the water in December, Feb, and March....with wetsuit only! where there is a will...there is a way...shore dives galore but you may be by yourself! most locals are busy hunting in nov,dec,jan...so they dont like that cold water...there are freshwater springs at 65 degrees yearround..hth

Ah, that makes sense. I dove in CA in 43 degree water. Pretty cold. After that I got a dry suit

Well, if you have money to burn, literally, you could dive at the Georgia Aquarium. It's expensive, but not too cold.

Otherwise...maybe the neighbor's hot tub?

Since no one local has stepped forward, I will take a shot.

We have pretty much nowhere to dive in the winter in Colorado, either. When local divers want to get wet, work on their skills, or try out new equipment, they will check with local shops. Some of them have their own pools and are happy to rent out pool time. Other shops rent time in local recreation center or school pools, and when they do, they will often allow divers to share the space with them.

We do lots of diving in Dauphin Island, Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Pensacola, Destin, and Panama City Beach during the Winter months.

It's harder to find a charter during Winter, because many folks pull their boats at that time for annual maintenance. Closest to Alabama, you'll have Gary's Gulf Divers (Orange Beach) and Niuhi Dive Charters (Perdido/Pensacola) that still run in the Winter, even sometimes during the week.

Bottom temps are usually a little warmer than surface temps, but December through February you're looking at 50-60 degrees offshore. March moves up to 60ish, April hits high 60's, and it's GAME ON from May to November.

Weather is usually the limiting factor for boat dives.

Shore diving also continues all year, but you need high tides, which means there aren't tons of opportunities until early Spring.

You also have Vortex Spring, and Morrison Spring (when it's not blown out) in nearby Ponce De Leon, Florida. Water there is 68 degrees all year, so that's usually where we go when the Gulf is blown.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom