Need a REAL Underwater Video Camera - GoPro Hero2 Failed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i need a camera that is designed to produce clear crisp video in low lighting. (a compact camera will be a bonus)

I'm really not trying to be a wet blanket (pardon the pun) but I don't think what you're after exists. To get low-light without artificial lighting means a really big camera. Probably something like this:

Gates EX1R Underwater Video Housing :: Sony PMW-EX1 :: Gates Underwater Products

You're quickly getting over $10,000 here. Compact cameras have small lenses. Small lens means not a lot of light gets in. You have to get light somewhere.

Here is what you need a real camera that will do great at low light, along with an underwater housing. The Canon C300 and Gates Housing.

canon-c300.jpg gates_C300_rear_left-300x229.jpg gates_C300_underwater_housing_left_side.jpg gates_c300_housing_rear_right.jpg

All this will only cost you a couple more 0's on top of the GoPro price tag.

Not much of a comparison between a $300 camera housing combination and a $30,000 dollar setup, the comparison ends at the fact that they both record video and can go underwater. If you want professional level video quality you will need to spend a lot of ca$h. :rofl3:

Probably something like this:

Gates EX1R Underwater Video Housing :: Sony PMW-EX1 :: Gates Underwater Products

You're quickly getting over $10,000 here. Compact cameras have small lenses. Small lens means not a lot of light gets in. You have to get light somewhere.
Actually closer to $20,000. The housing is $6900, the camera is $6150 and you'd likely need a full zoom-thru port for something 20' away. Add $4500 for the Gates SWP44 port which is the only one that does afaik. A standard SWP25 Gates port is $1000 but it will get soft (lose focus slightly) at full zoom-thru. And $2400 for the EM43 HD monitor as shown.

Prices are here: http://www.submergecamera.com/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?limit=all&manufacturer[0]=451

Even the EX1 is probably going to have some difficulty with something 20' away at 140'. Although you can bring up the gain, it will also add picture noise. You'd probably need lights to compensate - something like the Edge Wasp - 18,000 lumens (3 zeros) for $3800. There's also a couple of 4000 lumen lights in the $1000-1600 range. Aditech makes one that's better than 4300 lumens for $950 and Light & Motion makes a Sola 4000 now - $1600.

---------- Post added ----------

You might look at a housed DSLR as an option also. Something like a Canon 5DMKIII - camera starts around $3500 - housings for it go from $2-4K. The MkIII is supposed to have better low-light performance than the MKII. Of course then you'd need to add a port, lens, tray etc. Backscatter sells them. You can get a good idea of what it can do here: http://www.backscatter.com/learn/article/article.php?ID=139 however it appears he used lights in the darker parts of the cenotes.

Rather than spend 5 million on a camera and housing.. Why not buy some lights for the Go-Pro? I have had good luck with my Go-pro to 180 feet with ambient light..

It's tough to give you a suggestion since everyone has a different opinion on what is acceptable video quality.

I suggest watching some videos in the link below. When you find some that are acceptable to you, take a look at the video specs. Many people will list the camera they used. If they don't you could ask them in a message.

https://vimeo.com/groups/hddivevideos

I'm a DSLR fan and shoot a 5D2 - but I would not recommend that camera if starting from scratch. Perhaps you can give consideration to a Canon t2i and a Tokina 11-16 lens and a Ikelite housing. It will be heavy, but the video is awesome and stills are better than you'll get out of any camcorder. With a lens like the Tokina you can shoot deep depth of field to overcome the lack of autofocus. If you are comfortable with buying used I would think you could find a used t2i Ikelite package and keep things under $2000. There will be used T2i's around for years in case you need another one. You will also have access to manual white balance (more than one click but it should be there).

If you really want a dedicated camcorder I think the Canon HF G10 looks awesome but that's over $1000 just for the camera and won't get you very good stills.

If this is for a business where you are taking video of clients underwater, etc then I think you'll want a dedicated camcorder with decent auto focus, etc.

I have bonica snapper hddv which is waterproof to 180 feet. Mine comes with a 2 hander tray and 2 big blue flash lights that I have attached to it (only use in cavern diving). Deepest I went with it is 90ft and visibility was 100ft. I should mention that it was a nice summer day.

You have a problem with your go-pro. My first question is an obvious one... have you done your proper research on go-pro before buying it? Have you purchased blur reduction housing(s) and are you videotaping in a cloudy environment where sun is not shining directly onto the reef? Furthermore are you aware of color loss under water and how bands of color disappear under water the deeper you go? Is your go-pro properly set up for auto focus? Are you aware of light refraction under water and effect of thermaclines on video taping? All of these affect your video footage in one way or another.

Video cameras are entirely dependent on all of the above mentioned variables. $10,000 cameras would have same exact limitations that $300 cameras would.

Video lights will not help when filming distant objects. Effect of lights dissipates quite exponentially under water.

Here is an example of a bad videography day.

On a nice hot summer day you are heading off on a 2 tank dive (let's say to a florida keys wreck site). Depth to top of ship is 100 feet. Bottom of ship sits at 160 feet. Current is barely noticeable but as you descend you can't see the ship. All you see is a blur off in the distance. It is not until you get within 50 or so feet that you actually see the ship. You flip your camera switch and begin video taping. You get close to the ship and spend time video taping things as you navigate.

At home you are all excited to check out that video footage and along and behold your footage is unusable. All of it or most of it.
Thermaclines every 20 or so feet refracted light so camera had difficulties picking things up. You were also shooting from bottom up into the sunlight so footage came out really really white. Other places came out too dark because ship was casting shadows, some colors were completely missing even though you were using a red lens.

A halfway decent camera starts at $400 and goes up. 90% of video footage quality comes from the person who understands concepts of videography and camera limitations.

Video cameras are entirely dependent on all of the above mentioned variables. $10,000 cameras would have same exact limitations that $300 cameras would.

True, but the more expensive cameras deal with the limitations much better. Give the GoPro or any other inexpensive camera great lighting and the footage looks great. However, it's not so easy to get great lighting UW. Especially for wide angle. A high quality camera with manual white balance is going to make a big difference. The big difference is going to cost big in dollars, size and weight.

I can understand the thread starter's complaints about the GoPro. If he really needs his UW footage to look as good as topside, he may not be prepared for what will be required to get the look he is after.

The GoPRO is great for what it is but it was never meant to be an A roll camera. You will not make an entire film based upon GoPro footage and it would be naive to think otherwise. They have an abundant uses but not as primary cam tho, in certain circumstances they can be the only resource. I wish we had them in the 70's when I was skydiving for a living. That said, learn the light, focus and resolution limitations of the GoPRO, Contour and others of its type and use them when appropriate but do not think that having a GoPro is the same as having a real camcorder, housing, lights etc. Just my opinionated opinion. ;-)
Steve

If you plan on shooting video underwater and expect to get clear, colorful video you need light. At least one. I looked at the go pro last year and decided to go with the Jvc Picsio WP-10. I put it in an Ikelight housing with two Ikelight video lights. I wanted something compact for travel. I took it down to Grand Cayman last November and got some really good video. You tube has several underwater videos taken with the Picsio. My tarvel system set me back about $800.00. I have also seen some really good video taken with the Go Pro. You should start by getting some light.

Almost forgot. The Picsio will also take still photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom