need a pair of "soft" fins for a kid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My son is 14 years old. In a few years he will be stronger than me but right now he is lacking adult strenght and his fins (Mares Quatros) are far to stiff. He can't kick fast enough to develope any power and gets worn out quickly trying. So we are in need of some softer fins for about a year or so untill he can get back into the quatros and who knows? maybe even SP jets.

So the question is what's the most cost effective "soft" fin? (Why "cost effactive" He'll be outgrowing them very soon. Heck he has already gone from being 100 pounds even to 114 pounds in the few months he was had his latest wetsuit)

Your kid is getting enough exercise and not parked at all hours in front of the tv or a computer monitor? At 14, he should be wearing fin blades out.

boomx5:
My 12 year old son is wearing medium Jets and has been since he was 10 and has never had a problem with them.

Same with my neighbor's 2 daughters (10&12) however for soft fins you might check out Wal-Mart or Costco for some basic U.S. Divers fins - they are pretty soft, another option are the Aeris Velocity's - I used them prior to getting Jets. They are snorkel fins, but frequently used for Scuba and cost about $40 from Leisurepro.

The other option would be to have him switch his kicking style from flutter to frog, as it is much easier on the legs.

Aloha, Tim

First, click my avatar to see me at your son's age in 1965.(age 13)
Second, just bought a pair of USD/AQUALUNG fins at a sports shop
here in Texas for thirty bucks. Split propellor fins no less. Called Pro-Tech
Hydrosplit. White silicon and black neoprene blend. Obviously CAD designed. For $30!(on sale)
Bought 'em for a spare pair but they they are twice as good as
my old rocket fins. They are now my main fins. Geez....I would have
friggin' loved these back then! They would have cost a hundred bucks
THEN....if you could have gotten them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom