Need a new dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you dive regularly with your husband, it makes sense to me to get the same computer (or one with the same algorithm). You're normally fairly close to each other's NDL and that can be one less 'stress' underwater.

Did exactly that for the exact reason, my wife and I both have Petrel's. Also it gives you something similar to compare with. I was also using a Pro Plus 2 and a VEO-250, and wife using Pro Plus 2 (all use the same algorithm) and the VEO-250 had a fault which affected the algorithm. Luckily I was using both, one for backup and saw the significant difference and established that the VEO-250 was faulty (luckily) giving significant longer deco times. If we are doing similar profiles, the deco times should be similar which is a great check.

I log all my dives on my iPad on the Dive Log App and don't need a computer interface. I want a wrist computer.

---------- Post added September 9th, 2013 at 08:46 PM ----------

$300 to $1000, what ever suits my needs. I'd sooner by a computer then shoes.
I'd go with either the Petrel or a Liquivision.

---------- Post added September 17th, 2013 at 06:23 PM ----------

I had a Liquivision and sold it for a Petrel. Best decision I ever made and I am very happy with my Petrel.
Why? I'm a new Liquivision owner so I'd just like to know what you like so much better. You can PM me if you don't want to post here.

---------- Post added September 17th, 2013 at 06:27 PM ----------

So you are looking for a computer with big numbers, easy to read. The Liquivision xeo certainly meets that criteria and then some. I and my buddies are very happy with it. I have also had 3 aladin 2g computers and had problems with the software failing when you change the battery, and also with the buttons falling out. My buddies have also had these problems, and I believe there is a high incidence. I suggest you avoid the 2g. Another option is the Petrel, which is also held in high regard by my buddies. It also has a good display, easy to read.
I love my XEO, partly because I wanted a big, easy to read bright screen.

I'd go with either the Petrel or a Liquivision.

---------- Post added September 17th, 2013 at 06:23 PM ----------

Why? I'm a new Liquivision owner so I'd just like to know what you like so much better. You can PM me if you don't want to post here.

---------- Post added September 17th, 2013 at 06:27 PM ----------

I love my XEO, partly because I wanted a big, easy to read bright screen.

The comments below are my opinion as to why the Petrel is better than the Liquivision XEO and the issues I had

1. The start up screen txt is green and is the only screen you cannot change the colour of the txt (if you can I couldn't find a way). I wear glasses and without them I don't have a hope in hell of reading it to see what to do next once the start up screen runs. I set all of the txt colours I could to bright yellow but this drains the battery quickly. The txt on the Liquivision XEO appears smaller (from memory) compared to Petrel which adds to the difficulty of reading it particularly in sunlight. The Petrel has white txt on black and very easy to read in sunlight or the water.

2. The Petrel screen is bigger and very clear for me to use even without glasses and 100% better over the Liquivision XEO by direct comparison. Before I sold it I used both and found the Petrel to be heaps better. Others commented that under water they can easily read the Petrel display as well on my wrist, this was not so with the Liquivision XEO.

3. I didn't like the tap tap approach of the Liquivision XEO either and had some problems getting it to go some days. I also have noticed others who own them and have had similar issues. I watch how people use their gear without comment and see what they can use simply and what they appear to have difficulty with. Sometimes I ask what they think of their gear out of curiosity to see what they think as my opinion is only my opinion after all.

4. The Petrel Bluetooth is easy to use and works great. Better than the IR approach of the Liquivision XEO which I did find could be sometimes hit and miss.

5. Petrel will take any battery so you never get caught out anywhere. I love that I can have rechargeable, lithium or alkaline as one can usually get one of these battery types at a pinch no matter where you are. The Liquivision XEO battery is more limiting regarding batteries.

6. The Petrel is cheaper to buy ($1000 AUD with the extra algorithm (using alkaline batteries and built in bluetooth), compared to about $1350 for the Liquivision kit which you need for the charger and IR interface)

7. The Petrel allows you to change algorithms which is what I also wanted and the cost was not a lot ($75). From memory you also can with the Liquivision but the cost is significant (about $150 or so I think for the upgrade).

I am not just saying this because I now have a Petrel, I bought the Liquivision XEO first (second hand from another owner who only had it for a little while for about $800), and quickly became unhappy with it, so I then bought a Petrel on recommendation of a LDS who sells both and gave the Liquivision XEO to my wife. After we used both for about 20 dives, I then sold the Liquivision XEO at a small loss ($700) and bought another Petrel for her. We are both very very happy with that decision.

I know this is only my opinion but its based on using both computers, not just using one and being happy with it, or self justifying a purchase. I am really really happy. The only up side I saw for the Liquivision over the Petrel is that its physically smaller and sits better on the wrist than the Petrel which looks a bit like a brick. However all the other things make up for the size so I would recommend a Petrel over a Liquivision XEO anytime.

Shearwaters are just stunningly good computers.

It's interesting when they first came out (What was the model before the Pursuit called?) they were aimed squarely at the rebreather market. When OC tech divers started using them Shearwater realized they were on to a good thing. Started making cheaper computers without a Fischer connector for pO2 readings.
Now it seems they are starting to be used for recreational diving.Wonder if Shearwater will bring out another,stripped down, model. Maybe 2 nitrox/O2 mixes but no helium?
A recreational version of the Predator for ,say, $700 would probably sell by the truckload and could be upgraded to the "Tech" version at any time from your laptop for a few hundred $$$.

I personally own to VR Neo cpus and while they are great if I had it to do over again I would get the Shearwater.

Suunto Zoop is also a good deal, and is probably the cheapest Nitrox computer in my neck of the woods

I dive with both an Aeris and a ZOOP. This is neither good or bad but the ZOOP gets much more conservative on repeitive dives. Last weekend I did two dives to 89 ft with a 1 hr surface interval on 30%. On dive 1 the Aeris was showing just a few minutes more NDL before we went up. Slow ascent and safety stop. On dive 2 the ZOOP started showing 15-20 minutes less NDL time. When the ZOOP got down to 8 min of NDL we went up to 65 ft. Zoop only increased to 12 min. The Aeris is now showing well over 20. I went ahead and allowed the ZOOP to go slightly into deco and picked up some extra required ascent time. Still had over 15 minutes of NDL left on the Aeris. Cleared both computers before getting on the boat.

Some one who does lots of repetitive dives past 60ft and is not willing to put the ZOOP into deco or at least ride the ZOOP NDL may find they have some shorter dives than their dive buddies.

Back
Top Bottom