Need a new dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife dives with the Leonardo and finds it very simple to read & use. It's not AI and you don't have to buy the computer interface :wink:

It was right around $300 in pink.
Only $210.00 at scubastore. Gitto is more expensive($280.00).

So you are looking for a computer with big numbers, easy to read. The Liquivision xeo certainly meets that criteria and then some. I and my buddies are very happy with it. I have also had 3 aladin 2g computers and had problems with the software failing when you change the battery, and also with the buttons falling out. My buddies have also had these problems, and I believe there is a high incidence. I suggest you avoid the 2g. Another option is the Petrel, which is also held in high regard by my buddies. It also has a good display, easy to read.

I've got a brand new uwatec 2g multi-gas computer for sale with new dss bungee mount in the classifieds... $350 shipped :wink:

Another vote for Shearwater. Petrel is going to be my next back up computer. I have a Predator now. Right now anything else out there is a wannabe compared to the Shearwater computers. No they are not AI, but who cares. One less thing to need a battery for and one less thing to flood. $1000 for a computer that will only do nitrox - big waste of money. The Petrel will go as far as you want. Shearwater support is truly second to none. IR or cable download? Nope. And IMO thank God it's not. Bluetooth that pairs up in seconds. Easy to use interface and desktop software. Manual is easy to read and understand. You can tell it was written by divers, not eggheads and ambulance chasers.

So you are looking for a computer with big numbers, easy to read. The Liquivision xeo certainly meets that criteria and then some. I and my buddies are very happy with it. I have also had 3 aladin 2g computers and had problems with the software failing when you change the battery, and also with the buttons falling out. My buddies have also had these problems, and I believe there is a high incidence. I suggest you avoid the 2g. Another option is the Petrel, which is also held in high regard by my buddies. It also has a good display, easy to read.

I had a Liquivision XEO and found the screen size too small, not bright enough on sunny days (even setting brighter colours), battery not lasting and the start up screen green and not able to change it to anything other than green meaning I couldn't see it on sunny days. I found it to be just OK.

Sold it and bought a Shearwater Petrel and never looked back. Great screen size, bright colours and able to see it on any day, simple to use, versatile. I was so impressed I bought another for my wife (who had the Liquivision which I sold). We are both now very very happy with them.

Not to harp on the point, but a Petrel will NEVER underperform, but it is a lot more computer than you need. If you can afford it, and want the ABSOLUTE best.....that's the answer. It has Bluetooth built-in, so computer integration is built-in. The UI is unbelievably easy to use. I picked one up and could do most things with it in a couple minutes, and I didn't use the manual. I have a Hollis DG03 that is miserable to use compared to it, so now I'm looking to upgrade :D.

For a cheaper option, you could get an Oceanic Geo 2.0. I got one for my fiancee and I dove it this past weekend to test it out before taking it to Mexico. You can find it for $300 on Amazon. It's small, compact, wrist-mounted, cheap, dual-algorithm, and is at LEAST as easy to read as any puck-style computer. It has a smaller screen, but the lettering is more crisp/clear and it has a better backlight. It's also 1000x easier to use than my DG03. The only thing it does that drives me BONKERS is it beeps and yells when you reach a PP02 of 0.2 less than where you set it. That's really annoying when there's a known bottom and you're diving nearly the optimal mix for the dive.

It may be a little more conservative than you would like. Personally, if I was doing 5 dives a day on Nitrox and the computer said I was getting close to oxygen exposure limits I'd change my dive plan rather than the computer.

I use a Wisdom as well and understand what the OP was talking about. Drives me crazy. After several "alarm" days of diving in Bonaire, I decided to check exactly how close I was. Constructed a spreadsheet with all the calcs and my dive profiles from several days - I wasn't even close, yet the computer was locking me out. I have read the articles, done the math - the Wisdom is uber-conservative when it comes to O2 loading.

I recently replaced an Oceanic VT4 (not recommended) with a Shearwater Research Petrel and fell in love with it!

The Petrel is a bit overkill for recreational diving but look at this:

* NO LOCKOUTS, ever! IN THEORY You can omit tons of deco, you can take 100% O2 to 10 meters, you can switch to a gas that wasn't on your dive plan. The Petrel will stay with you and do its best to talk you through it. I do not advocate to consider diving like this - all I am saying is that the Petrel will not lock you out if you were to screw up.

With that comes great responsibility so you obviously need to understand what you are doing.

* I know you aren't big on PC downloads but still: The Petrel doesn't need some BS $99.00 USB cable to download your dives. It uses Bluetooth! There even is a third part Android app where you can download your dives via bluetooth straight to your Android device.

* The Petrel uses almost any AA size battery you can find anywhere in the world. From special 3.7V SAFT batteries to rechargeable 1.2V NimH. - The Petrel takes it all. You replace your battery with anything that fits in the slot and the Petrel will boot up and ask you to confirm what kind of battery he is on now (for battery status indicator scaling). No more BS custom batteries that your tiny volcanic island in the South Pacific does not stock.

* The Petrel has a back-lit LCD display that features large, clear digits and good contrast in a variety of lighting conditions.

* O2 Saturation: I have not tried to get close to 100% CNS clock but the global principle of the Petrel is "I will stay with you, even if you want to go and kill yourself. I will tell you when I think you are in danger but I will not lock you out."

---------- Post added September 17th, 2013 at 08:44 PM ----------

Manual is easy to read and understand. You can tell it was written by divers, not eggheads and ambulance chasers.

Yeah I just talked to someone about that this week. The Petrel manual is awesome. Other manufacturers will put ridiculous stuff in their manuals like "Do not use this for diving" whereas the Shearwater Research guys wrote the manual as if it were a discussion among intelligent divers. No nanny hand-holding insurance fine-print crap. Just stern warnings not to be a fool because this device will not stop you if you want to go and be a fool. One of the best dive computer manuals I have come across! A book for adults!

If you dive regularly with your husband, it makes sense to me to get the same computer (or one with the same algorithm). You're normally fairly close to each other's NDL and that can be one less 'stress' underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom