Need a manual for a 35 year old Mares spear gun.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MudBug

Registered
Reaction score

I am returning to spear fishing after a long hiatus. I am looking for a manual for my Mares Shortie Competition spear gun. It's about 35 years old but still has the original air charge and bench functions just fine.

Does anyone have a source for the owners/service manual for this spear gun?

Thanks,

Mudbug

You can get the cyrano manuals on the mares Italy website. (They’re in English.). Give that a try?

That is a Mares "Competition Line" gun, otherwise known as the Sten 87. It marked the change to the more angular handle and muzzle that departed from the grease gun look of the previous model. The instructions are the same for all the models except the parts change with the new plastic mouldings. This reference shows the diagram for the "Competition Line" guns at post #20. The next change was the Sten 2001 and that model continues to this day.

Sten Competition Line or Sten 87 Model

Thanks Popgun....is there an online service center you could recommend?

No, but you can do the work yourself. There is a gun dismantling thread here Pneumatic dismantling: how to get inside

The guns are not difficult to pull apart provided that you take a methodical approach and work on a clean worktable or bench as you don't want dust and dirt getting on the oily parts. Pneumatic spearguns are oleo-pneumatic as they need internal lubrication with oil such as motorcycle suspension fork oil.

Back
Top Bottom