Need a good place for lunch near the Cancun airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstevens

Toadfish. Splendid is implied but not guaranteed.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
My parents and my family are arriving in Cancun around noon and my nephew about 4 hours later. Even with immigration and customs and getting our rental car we'll have a couple of hours to kill. In Cozumel, I'd know where to go for lunch but not in Cancun. In Cozumel, I'd probably choose la Candela or Camilo's, perhaps la Choza for this purpose.

This will be my parents' first meal in Mexico. I'd love to find a nice little taqueria or the like where we can get good, local food. The hope is not to have to drive forever to get there or to get back to the airport.

What can people recommend?

It doesn't need to be in the direction of Cancun - we'll actually be heading toward Valladolid that day.

Thanks for the pointer.

In the airport there are several restaurants, real Mexican food you would have to drive downtown wich is about 20 min.drive from the airport, wherever you rent your car ask them for the address to La Parrilla or La Placita both on Yaxchilan avenue downtown Cancun, at Car rental places you will get maps, etc. You are looking at least 40 to 50 min. driving back and forth plus the time you take to order and have your lunch.
I hope this helps and if you wish to dive while in Cancun please visit Manta Divers! Cancun! Cenote! Cozumel! Selvatica Zip Line! - Home and call toll free.

About going towards Valladolid, Cancun would be a lot closer for the Lunch and the wait. At the highway from airport to Valladolid there is nothing good to mention.

Yup, he's right. It is pretty desolate right around the airport. There is a Burger King at the PEMEX station!! :rofl3: And I think I remember a Subway too?

Where are you staying in Valladolid? If you take the Quota (toll road) you will not find any place to eat until you get off the toll road, then south to Valladolid, north to the village of Temezon.

When are you going? You might want to pick up the appropriate maps from www.mapchick.com They are fantastic!

...La Parrilla or La Placita ...
I hope this helps and if you wish to dive while in Cancun ...

Thanks for the restaurant tips. The only reason we would be in Cancun would be for lunch, since this trip is taking us elsewhere. We're going to have about 4 hours to kill, so going into town should not be a huge problem.

Where are you staying in Valladolid? If you take the Quota (toll road) you will not find any place to eat until you get off the toll road, then south to Valladolid, north to the village of Temezon.

You might want to pick up the appropriate maps from Mapchick.com home page They are fantastic!

We're actually planning to stay at the Villas Arqueologicas at Chichen Itza. It's extremely useful to know not to count on finding anything on the way, since that was my backup plan.

I got a big wad of Can-Do maps a while back and agree they're great. Part of the reason for posting my question was that her map showed a great swath of desolation around the airport which I'd hoped was untrue.

if you like argentinian steaks do not miss 'la fonda argentina', its before hitting downtown and right on route from the airport to downtown (just where the new fly over or bypass is been built), the biggest juiciest and fattest steaks around, fanatstic! 15mins from the airport on the left side as your driving into cancun by residencial las americas. get the mixed grill 1.5kg for $40, that should kill some time! buen provecho!

if you like argentinian steaks do not miss 'la fonda argentina', its before hitting downtown and right on route from the airport to downtown (just where the new fly over or bypass is been built), the biggest juiciest and fattest steaks around, fanatstic! 15mins from the airport on the left side as your driving into cancun by residencial las americas. get the mixed grill 1.5kg for $40, that should kill some time! buen provecho!

Sounds great - we may try that sometime.

Any thoughts about something more Yucatecan in that vicinity?

There's a taco place (I'm pretty sure called Tacos el Arbol) by the western side of the highway south of Playa del Carmen that would be just the place apart from being way too far away.

ummm. got me beat there, i always take the cuota and theres nada around there although i have had good tacos de guisado on the side of the road after the police checkpoint. whilst in valladolid get to cenote zaki (i think thats how you spell it?) we had a great feed at the omsite restaurant there, the yucatan platter with pok chuk, cochinita, relleno negro and some other wierd tasty stuff, i think it was 10 dishes in total for $35.
got to love mexico hey!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom