Need a good drysuit glue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron,

5thD has one discounted to $20 or $40 for two pockets.

I bought my PB-300 from Lighthouse Diving in Lynwood WA for $24 a can. Their website is down but the phone number is (800) 777-DIVE (3483).

MEK, man that's some wicked stuff. You might want to find something else to use if possible. We used to use it in the Air Force until it became prohibited, and you know if the military won't let you use it it must be some bad stuff.

The big thing is the prep you got to clean up and out all the old glue...
The surface prep cannot be over stated; the best glue in the world can't compensate for improper surface prep.
Big gobs of old glue will probably need to be removed mechanically. Secure gobs can be left alone but the edges need to be feathered. Then its degrease - scuff/sand - degrease, using a clean rag for each degrease. Toluene makes a very good degreasing solvent, but be careful not to leave the rags sitting in a clump. They'll get HOT.
New cuffs/seals will need to go through the same process, as some of the mould release agents are silicone based.
If you can't get your mitts on any PB300 you might be surprised at how tightly plain old wetsuit cement will stick, assuming proper surface prep. :wink:
Thin down the first coat if the material surface is porous, like laminated material.

well.....I contacted DUI and several LDS. I have had good results in the past gluing other things with MEK based glue. it helps to partially emulsify the rubber and therefore make a better bond.
aqua-seal i do agree is not as good.
but where can I get something like PB300 locally so I dont have to wait for mail order?
thats the real problem.
I dont use the stuff all the time and would rather find something commonly available at a local hardware store so I dont have to keep a lot of it around.

Hey Pug,

I've been thinking of adding a pocket to my drysuit (Bare NexGen). Any good recommendations on where to get a pocket and what pocket to purchase? Your glue sounds like a winner. One reason I have been shying away from adding a pocket is that I just don't like the idea of attaching it with aquaseal :D

I'm sure this info is available on the board somewhere, but heck if I can get a quick answer :wink:

I have a NexGen as well. I've had a heck of a time finding a glue that sticks well to the outside material. I had the seals replaced and the seals are starting to peel away from the material. I used a contact cement and that seems to be holding.

I got my sleeves done. its a 14yr old bare trilam.
got ALL the glue and old sleeve off.
used a hair dryer. it softened up enough to peel it away.
buffed out the suit surfaces with 60grit paper.
cleaned off all surfacec with MEK solvent.
found some pvc pipe just the right diameter for jigs.
used wet suit cement (its a contact type of adhesive).
several coats on each surface, let dry, then one more coat on the sleave and apply while that coat is still wet.
also used some thin rip stop nylon strips, glued on to cover the seam inside and out.
BOB3 is right...proper surface prep is a must.
do not skip any steps and follow the directions on the glue can!
if they say it works a certain way dont try to make it do something else.
checked out O.K. this weekend.

I have a NexGen as well. I've had a heck of a time finding a glue that sticks well to the outside material. I had the seals replaced and the seals are starting to peel away from the material. I used a contact cement and that seems to be holding.

I just got off the phone with a BARE customer service person. My kneepads are peeling off my NexGen, and she said that few adhesives work well with the outer material they use for that suit. She mentioned that when they install pockets they actually sew them onto the suit rather than just gluing. I'm planning to add pockets to it soon (besides fixing the kneepads). Is something actually different about this suit, or can stuff (like pockets) be glued to it like any other drysuit? Would Aquaseal work (cheap, easily available), or do I need to track down this PB-300 stuff? Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially if you've managed to add pockets to a NexGen.

Thanks!

Glued pockets will eventually start lifting at the corners and fall off. If you have a sharp needle and strong hands, I suppose you could sew them yourself and then use aquaseal to close up all the holes.

I've used contact cement, which held for a little while, and then starting deteriorating to the point that other divers made fun of me. :D Aqua seal would work and then eventually quit, unless you sew them. I've never used PB-300.

The NexGen suit is a bilaminate or trilaminate suit, so it's probably not very stretchy. You could probably get away with just stitching the corners and gluing everywhere else.

If you want to get a really good looking pocket job, send it to Superior Diving Repair, Inc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom