Ned DeLoach's Underwater Guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Foo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently received my latest Ebay bargain, Diving Guide to Underwater Florida by Ned DeLoach. It cost me around $4 after shipping, and has got some great information about diving every area of Florida. I found out about this book here in the Conchdiver's forum, but I can't remember who to thank, so thank you all! :10:

Foo

I have found he's books to be extermely useful. I just bought the newest one, can't say I notice many changes in it..

Ahem....
A word of caution... we wasted a day trying to dive at Blue Hole in Florida Caverns State Park. Turns out they do not allow scuba diving. In fact, the attendant called her manager and it sounded like they haven't allowed diving in recent memory, in spite of what DeLoach's book said.
When we spoke with the people at Diver's Den in Dotham, AL, they laughed and said that the book had quite a bit of misinformation. Some landowners now greet would-be divers with rifles!
So I would suggest call first before making a special trip!
While we are at it, Morrison Springs is now state owned, there is no fee, and there are no amenities other than a bathroom (bring a light and toilet paper), a rinse site, and a lovely pavillion. No camping, no concessions, no air fills, in spite of what DeLoach says.
See what I mean?

baitedstorm:
I have found he's books to be extermely useful. I just bought the newest one, can't say I notice many changes in it..
I scanned Ed 11, the new one, didnt see anything but some new graphics/front cover etc, i still have Ed 10, the last one.

Trisha:
A word of caution... we wasted a day trying to dive at Blue Hole in Florida Caverns State Park. Turns out they do not allow scuba diving. In fact, the attendant called her manager and it sounded like they haven't allowed diving in recent memory, in spite of what DeLoach's book said.
When we spoke with the people at Diver's Den in Dotham, AL, they laughed and said that the book had quite a bit of misinformation. Some landowners now greet would-be divers with rifles!
So I would suggest call first before making a special trip!
While we are at it, Morrison Springs is now state owned, there is no fee, and there are no amenities other than a bathroom (bring a light and toilet paper), a rinse site, and a lovely pavillion. No camping, no concessions, no air fills, in spite of what DeLoach says.
I went through the book and marked up springs that said scuba allowed, cave required etc so i could work out what i could and couldnt do. The state parks website is good for finding out about conditions and whether diving is permitted. I would second the double check before you go idea.

BTW, in the 11th edition it now states that morrison is state owned and that all of that isn't there anymore.

Of course I would definately check to make sure information is accurate before driving great lengths.

Matt

I was about to add the same thing. There is a new edition out in the last 6 months. Some stuff is updated.

I've heard complaints about GPS coordinates not being accurate in this book also, but overall it's a very good resource for planning dives or using as a starting point to get more information about a site. There is no way that you can publish this every 6 months or every year even to keep it all up to date because hours, places, names, etc change.

Still a good book.

Has anyone brought these faux pas to Ned's attention?

Really... I'm not trying to be sarky, but if it was ME writing the book, I'd want to make sure all the info was as up-to-date as possible for each year's printing so that it would be seen as reliable enough for people to buy.

JMHO,

Great book for the price.Ned does all he can to keep it accurate.At the price compared to compiling the data for sites not mentioned in the states website you can't go wrong.The LORAN #s haven't let me down more that a couple times.A few of the sinks/springs etc listed depths are off but in general the best guide available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom