Necklace Octo holder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand why the necklaced octo is not standard. The PADI instructor guide clearly shows that the octo placement should be inside of the triangle as shown below. I think a necklaced octo would fall into that same area - don't you? Ironically most divers clip their octopus on the right side of the BCD, which would fall outside of the shown triangle. Even yet most fall out of the octo keeper and float behind the diver and or drag on the bottom. The necklace is the way to go.

FWIW, the regulator in the necklace isn't the "octo", as it's not what you'll be donating. You'll donate the one you're breathing from, and then go to the secondary on your necklace.

FWIW, the regulator in the necklace isn't the "octo", as it's not what you'll be donating. You'll donate the one you're breathing from, and then go to the secondary on your necklace.

I use a necklace, and it is the one I donate. It is always oriented correctly whether I need to use it, or pull it out and hand it to my buddy.

I just don't know how the change will ever happen (and I only mean acceptance, not as an "only choice").....

From the increasing number of positive responses I think this is already in progress, just that we are at the beginning of the wave.

Yes, I realize that according to gue/dir standards... I don't have a long hose, but my octo is 4 inches longer then my primary so I would give my octo. All I'm saying is for basic diving instructions it makes sense to place the "octo" on a necklace as an alternative to side mounting or lack there of. One main reason for gue is aquatic life preservation and I've seen to many alternate hoses, that are not secured, being dragged along the bottom and or disturbing corals etc.

My wife uses the necklace for the octo and it is on the longer of the two hoses. Her primary is a standard length hose over her shoulder, the octo on a necklace under her arm on a 38 inch hose with a 90 degree swivel. Sorry, but it works very well and she will indeed donate the necklaced octo, not the short hose primary.

N

My wife uses the necklace for the octo and it is on the longer of the two hoses. Her primary is a standard length hose over her shoulder, the octo on a necklace under her arm on a 38 inch hose with a 90 degree swivel. Sorry, but it works very well and she will indeed donate the necklaced octo, not the short hose primary.

N

I use the same setup: underarm with 90 degree swivel. Works great! Maybe one day I will switch to the long hose but unfortunately a 6 foot atomic swivel hose will cost me about $800.00.

I use a snorkel keeper attached to a D-ring and then feed the mouthpiece of the octo through the other end. Holds snug, but a good tug and it is free and clear. I thought about a necklace, but don't really want to deal with putting it around my neck. This keeps it neat and close and doesn't affect my gearing up in or out of the water. The LDS owner appreciated my love of simplicity and instead of pushing the $24.95 sold me on the $1.50 solution. I will go back for other purchases so she can make up the lost revenue....

I have tried various methods and, at the moment, I use a bungied 40" primary with an octo attached to my right D-ring with the holder below. The primary can be pulled from the necklace if necessary. The long hose and bungied backup were ok, but clearing the snorkle with the hose was a PITA, and in an emergency could add another problem. I still have the hose, so if I ever ditch the snorkle I could have another go at it.

40 years ago primaries came with a snap on strap necklace as there were no alternates, most were s***canned as the school of thought was to have nothing imparing the ditching of the rig.

Just attach to D-ring by wrapping around and pulling square end thru round hole and then put octo mouthpiece in square hole. It's annoying to put mouthpice back in after a test, but it holds in kelp and bad beach exits, and they are cheap.
41ZFQIQ34tL._SS500_.jpg

Bob
----------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I have tried various methods and, at the moment, I use a bungied 40" primary with an octo attached to my right D-ring with the holder below. The primary can be pulled from the necklace if necessary. The long hose and bungied backup were ok, but clearing the snorkle with the hose was a PITA, and in an emergency could add another problem. I still have the hose, so if I ever ditch the snorkle I could have another go at it.

40 years ago primaries came with a snap on strap necklace as there were no alternates, most were s***canned as the school of thought was to have nothing imparing the ditching of the rig.

Just attach to D-ring by wrapping around and pulling square end thru round hole and then put octo mouthpiece in square hole. It's annoying to put mouthpice back in after a test, but it holds in kelp and bad beach exits, and they are cheap.
View attachment 134097

Bob
----------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Pretty much identical to using a snorkel keeper. Curious about the square shape, though....

Back
Top Bottom