Near miss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

red860

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was going along with my wife's class for her first check dive over Labor Day weekend. I've been diving for 37 years and I made a small mistake that could have turned out very badly. I'm older now and a bit overweight, I have diabetes that is well under control. Now for the facts. We got up early and had a big breakfast (7 AM), then started getting ready for our 1:00 pm dive. We had to drive 70 miles to get to the dive site at Fort Whetherill in RI, arriving later than we planned due to the holiday traffic. We arrived at 12:45 and I started getting our gear together as the Instructor was already waiting for us. We got our gear on and in the water. After an inital short dive we started out along the East side of the site and ened up crossing the small bay to the other I was taking pictures for the others and watching everyone. Everyone was fine and we were all enjoying the dive. On our return we ended up in a bait ball being driven by a few large stripped bass and stopped to enjoy the sight. after re crossing the bay I started to feel nasused and dizzy, I was able to stand up so I walked out and was feeling worse by the minute. I managed to get everyting off and loaded for the return trip. We were opn our way home with my wife driving when I realized that I had not eaten since early that moring and it was now approaching 3:00 PM. When I finally figured out what was actually wrong we stopped and got me some orange juice and food. I was soon feeling great once again. We now make sure to take food with us and make sure that I eat even if I'm not hungry at the time. I have dived all over and never made that simple mistake before and will not anytime soon. My wife is hooked on diving now and she is looking forward to diving warm waters with good visibility next spring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom