Near Miss: Stuck Inflator on BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AggieDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I had an interesting first dive on our trip to Little Cayman last week, and looking back, I think there were several things we did well that saved us from potentially bigger problems, but also some things we will do differently in the future.

Event: We were on our first dive on the Bloody Bay Wall at Dot's Hot Spot on Sunday morning around 9am. We had our regs serviced immediately prior to the trip, but had last had our BCDs inspected or serviced approximately 2 years before. This was our first dive in about 11 months. We had an uneventful descent to the top of the reef in around 30 feet of water and were heading towards the edge of the wall. Just as we started down a cut towards the wall, at around 55-60', my wife attempted to add some air to her BC using her inflator button. The button stuck open, inflating her BC to capacity rapidly and sending her towards the surface. I managed to grab her and slow her ascent while trying to get the inflator button unstuck. After several seconds attempting to get the button unstuck, I gave up and disconnected the hose from the inflator. We had risen to around 30' in what was probably less than 20-30 seconds. We were able to dump the excess air and level out to assess ourselves. My first instinct was to thumb the dive and head for the surface to discuss what had happened and fix the BC inflator. However, thankfully, I looked at my computer and noticed that we had a hard ceiling of 10' indicated on the computer. had we surfaced and violated that ceiling, we would have likely locked out the computer and caused ourselves to have to sit out several dives. After some brief signalling and checking with each other, we decided to continue the dive, with my wife manually inflating and deflating the BC as needed for buoyancy.

Lessons Learned:
1 - Prior to entering the water, my wife had not tried adding any air to the BC to make sure it was working. This should have been part of our predive gear check, and neither of us checked it on her BC. After reattaching the hose, the inflator worked fine for the rest of the trip, so it was likely just a piece of grit in the connection that could have been easily remedied on the surface prior to the dive.

2 - On our first dives of previous trips, we have left our camera on the boat to make sure everything is working before adding the task loading. On this trip, we took the camera on the first dive, and having it with her complicated my wife's attempts to fix the issue herself. On future trips, I will insist that we leave the camera behind on the first dive to make sure that our gear is functioning properly while free of extraneous tasks like managing a camera.

3 - Both of us were on the same page as far as response actions. First establish as much negative bouyancy as possible for the buddy to slow the ascent rate while trying to fix the problem. Second, try to unstick the inflator button. Third, disconnect the inflator hose. If we had been unable to disconnect the hose, my next step would have been to turn off her air at the tank valve and give her my octopus. The last resort, which she was starting to prepare for as I was working on the inflator hose, would have been to ditch the BC and let it head for the surface without her while she took my octo and did a controlled ascent with safety stop using my computer as a guide.

4 - This is the one I still am not 100% sure about. I think once we had calmed down and assessed the situation, continuing the dive was an acceptable decision. Here is why: We were very early in the dive...less than 5 minutes in, and had not accumulated any significant nitrogen load. Our ascent was from a relatively shallow depth (55-60'), and stopped at around 30 feet, so the ascent rate was not that extreme (~25-30' in about 20-30 seconds) and was unlikely to have caused any DCS issues. Had we been later in the dive with more nitrogen loading, or had we had a greater overall depth change in the ascent, I might have made a different decision. We both communicated via sign language that we understood she was ok to continue the dive using the inflator manually, and I was extra attentive for the rest of the dive to make sure there were no further issues.

5 - After an event like this, check your computer as part of the next step in decision making. Had we either immediately surfaced, or done a short safety stop and not paid attention to the hard ceiling on the computer, we might have locked out the computers by surfacing for what in the end was not a life-threatening situation once the inflator hose was disconnected.

6 - Finally, as a buddy, but also as a potential rescuer, my last step in the immediate decision tree in responding to the stuck inflator would have been at what point would I have to let go and let my wife rise to the surface alone if all other actions could not fix the problem in time. One of the first things we were taught in Rescue class was that the rescuer needs to be sure they don't endanger themselves by rushing in to a situation where they cannot safely perform a rescue. In this case, was the value of me continuing to hang on to my wife and slow her ascent worth the risk that both of us could get bent if we both went to the surface together? My answer...I don't know. I do know that I probably would not have decided to let go, mainly because we were so early in the dive, even a full ascent to the surface would not have been likely to result in getting bent. I can't honestly say I went through all that in my mind in the 10-20 seconds I had to think it through, but I do remember a flash decision of "do I need to think about letting her go?" running through my brain about the same time I managed to get the inflator hose disconnected. If I hadn't gotten it disconnected just then, it is a decision I would have had to make very shortly thereafter if I couldn't reach her air valve. I think it is a decision process that is worth thinking about beforehand, because those few moments of forethought may really help clarify what you do in a future situation where you have to make that decision.

In the end, it was a very brief, but very intense episode that we both won't soon forget. However, I think we both managed it fairly well and had good instincts about what steps to take to respond quickly. Had I been futher away or had she been deeper when it occurred, it might have turned out differently. In some respects we were lucky, but hopefuly reading this and thinking through some of the issues will help somebody else out in the future when facing a similar scenario.

One of my students who completed her academics and pool requirements with me had same experience. She is a 11 year girl who completed her dives on a island holiday with a referral from myself. she was using a rental bcd supplied by the resort there. Button got stuck during the dive, her instructor probably had a stroke :), she pushed the instructor away and calmly disconnected the lp inflator hose and continued her dive by oral inflation. No problem at all.

Glad that things worked out for both of you. You both seemed to have handled things very well.
One thing that I am having trouble understanding, or perhaps I missed something:

This was the first dive on the first day of your trip, and during the first 5 minutes of that dive.
The problem occurred at 55-60 ft, and you rose to 30 ft in approx 20-30 secs.( faster than an ideal rate, but not super fast).
My question: how/why did your computer give you a "hard ceiling at 10 ft."??
Was it due solely to the quick ascent?

Side question:What type computer do you have?

Miked, that was the first questiion that popped into my head too. Also to OP, did you and/or your buddy also flare and attempt to use the dumps to get out air in bc as you scrambled as described?

We both have Sunnto Cobras. I suspect that the ceiling resulted from the initial rise before I grabbed onto my wife and slowed her down. I had to swim up rapidly for probably the first 5-10 feet to catch her, and I suspect that triggered the rapid ascent warning and put a ceiling in place until we stabilized for a period of time. The ceiling warning disappeared probably 1-2 minutes later, so it was not there for long.

One of the things I plan to do in the next couple of days is download the profiles from both of our computers and see what our initial ascent rates were if the data is recorded at sufficient density to reflect them accurately in such a short time period.

---------- Post added September 9th, 2013 at 04:41 PM ----------

Yes, as soon as I caught my wife, I flared my legs, grabbed the inflator hose on her BC and started dumping air as it was coming in while I was trying to get the button unstuck, and then to get the hose disconnected. Part of her problem was that she had the camera housing attached to her wrist by a strap, and it was interfering with her ability to reach her right hand across to help disconnect the hose herself.

We both have Sunnto Cobras. I suspect that the ceiling resulted from the initial rise before I grabbed onto my wife and slowed her down. I had to swim up rapidly for probably the first 5-10 feet to catch her, and I suspect that triggered the rapid ascent warning and put a ceiling in place until we stabilized for a period of time. The ceiling warning disappeared probably 1-2 minutes later, so it was not there for long.

One of the things I plan to do in the next couple of days is download the profiles from both of our computers and see what our initial ascent rates were if the data is recorded at sufficient density to reflect them accurately in such a short time period.

Suunto computers will give you a one-minute mandatory stop, in addition to a three-minute safety stop, if you exceed an ascent rate of (this is all from the top of my head, don't have a manual handy) 40 feet/ minute for even a few seconds, or maintain a rate of 30 feet/minute for something like 30 seconds. The ceiling usually clears within 15-20 seconds of stopping between 10 and 20 feet. They're pretty sensitive, and it's easy to trigger the stop.

Sounds like you handled the event well - decisive, quick and calm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I knew they had a rapid ascent alarm/mandatory stop of some sort, but it has been so long since we bought the computers and read the manual, I wasn't sure what the parameters were that triggered it. Thanks for the refresher.

First of all - I think you two handled it well. I like these posts where it's smaller things that didn't turn into big things but give people something to think about. Anyway, reading the OP there were two things that came to mind...

I'm not sure of the value of trying to unstick the inflator button... I'd go straight to disconnecting the inflator hose. Fiddling around with trying to unstick the button would take a few seconds that would easily cost me 10 feet and (in my estimation) would be unlikely to work, so personally I'd skip that step.

The only other thing I would say (in general - not directed at the OP) is to remember that 60 feet per minute USED to be considered a normal ascent rate. I have seen more than one post lately where people have been concerned about an ascent that would have fallen in a normal to normal-fast category in the not-too-distant past.

Again, nice writeup. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Suunto computers will give you a one-minute mandatory stop, in addition to a three-minute safety stop, if you exceed an ascent rate of (this is all from the top of my head, don't have a manual handy) 40 feet/ minute for even a few seconds, or maintain a rate of 30 feet/minute for something like 30 seconds. The ceiling usually clears within 15-20 seconds of stopping between 10 and 20 feet. They're pretty sensitive, and it's easy to trigger the stop.

Sounds like you handled the event well - decisive, quick and calm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the explanation.

Given that you had been down less than five minutes, I don't think you needed to worry about DCS, even if you accompanied your wife to the surface, so long as you kept breathing. In fact, if it were me, I'd WANT to accompany my wife to the surface, because she's the one with the problem, and the one most likely to hold her breath out of stress. If she were in trouble at the surface, having an alert buddy could make a whole bunch of difference.

I'm also with katepnatl -- just disconnect the hose, and don't fuss with the button until you have done so. Runaway inflators put gas in fast, although some inflators will dump as fast as the gas is going in, so if you hold the button down, you can avoid too much buoyancy. Still, disconnecting the hose is a solution you can implement fast, and it solves the problem.

Whether it was okay to continue the dive or not is arguable, and much depends on the experience levels of both divers and the complexity of the proposed dive. I would probably have done it, but you have one big strike against you at that point, which means that if you hit a downdraft, or if you have an emergency that requires a quick trip to the surface, you don't have a fast way to fully inflate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom