Near-DIR diving: Are there DIR things you would probably never do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

B: I prefer diving with a buddy most of the time. Besides the safety aspect it's more fun. But I don't want to become totally reliant on a buddy and would prefer my buddy to do the same. I've seen some reference to the fact that DIR divers are too reliant on the buddy and when things go brown they have a hard time dealing with it.
It's a myth ... promoted on the Internet by people who don't know what they're talking about.

I enjoy solo diving from time to time ... and if anything, the skills I learned through my GUE and NAUI tech training helped me better prepare for solo diving ... because they helped me learn how to think about, in advance of the dive, what contingencies I might have to plan for and what skills I would need to be able to deal with those contingencies.

DIR trained divers are every bit as self-reliant as anyone else ... perhaps even more so in some aspects. They CHOOSE to dive as a team because it offers more options, and increases their ability to deal with contingencies.

You can look at it like this ... if you're playing three-on-three basketball, which would give you more options ... playing with guys who know how to run set plays, or playing with guys who just run around dribbling and shooting?

And would the former somehow reduce your ability to play one-on-one?

I don't think so ... it's just another level of skills ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You can look at it like this ... if you're playing three-on-three basketball, which would give you more options ... playing with guys who know how to run set plays, or playing with guys who just run around dribbling and shooting?

And would the former somehow reduce your ability to play one-on-one?

I don't think so ... it's just another level of skills ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Good analogy Bob. I've been on dives where it seems eveyone is "dribbling and shooting" :shakehead: For various reasons, crappy dive planning, multiple divers using multiple "plans", unmatched gear, different gasses etc. As I step into more serious dives, like wreck penetrations, I really want to run set plays. For what level dives I'm doing now it's not so much an issue (although it could be) but I can see where not being "on the same page" can get you into real trouble on the bigger more complex dives.

I think that GUE/DIR is a fine way to skin a cat ... my only problem is with their inability to recognize that there are other fine ways to skin a cat ... some with very different philosophical underpinnings.

Exactly right!

I suppose that anyone never having had the freedom to choose their own best mixes and deco gasses will however never miss this freedom, since ignorance is truly always bliss.

And anyone taught by these latest GUE-DIR come latelys are not already accustomed to 2 Of Everything. Here again is where ignorance comes into the picture.

Whereas locally there appears to be an overwhelming proportion of GUE-DIR enthusiasts who end up in the local hyperbaric chamber, even so, none of them has died yet. So it therefore seems to me that GUE-DIR is not all that bad, just not great either.

Enough said.

Exactly right!

I suppose that anyone never having had the freedom to choose their own best mixes and deco gasses will however never miss this freedom, since ignorance is truly always bliss.
You'd like my system even less, equipment, procedures and mixes are specified by the Diving Control Board.
And anyone taught by these latest GUE-DIR come latelys are not already accustomed to 2 Of Everything. Here again is where ignorance comes into the picture.
Whatever are you talking about?
Whereas locally there appears to be an overwhelming proportion of GUE-DIR enthusiasts who end up in the local hyperbaric chamber, even so, none of them has died yet. So it therefore seems to me that GUE-DIR is not all that bad, just not great either.
Care to elaborate?

You'd like my system even less, equipment, procedures and mixes are specified by the Diving Control Board.
Whatever are you talking about?
Care to elaborate?

You are correct, I do not like being dictated to regarding what mixes I will breathe. I believe the issue of telling others what to do was resolved by the capitulation of the Nazi party during WW2.

They had their strong points as well, just like GUE-DIR.

And they, like GUE-DIR, took it upon themselves to tell others what to do, or else.

And many others simply did as they were told. There will always be many who are simply content to do as they are told. This gives them some sense of security, I believe. A false sense, to be sure, but a sense even so.

Enough said, already.:)

What? You were unable to find your answer in google?

You are correct, I do not like being dictated to regarding what mixes I will breathe. I believe the issue of telling others what to do was resolved by the capitulation of the Nazi party during WW2.

They had their strong points as well, just like GUE-DIR.

And they, like GUE-DIR, took it upon themselves to tell others what to do, or else.

And many others simply did as they were told. There will always be many who are simply content to do as they are told. This gives them some sense of security, I believe. A false sense, to be sure, but a sense even so.

So now GUE/DIR is compared to the Nazis? Really? Are you really that detached from reality or are you just messing around?

So now GUE/DIR is compared to the Nazis? Really? Are you really that detached from reality or are you just messing around?

Godwin's law has now been invoked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom