NC wreck dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carolsarinah

Reaction score
# of dives
I will be in Duck in August and can get down to Hateras for a day or two. Who should I dive with? We are experienced divers (I may even be an instructor by then but not at this rate).

Thanks

Carol

www.divehatteras.com

Capt Dave Sommers is a retd Fairfax county police Captain and has been running a nice 6 pac charter for 15 years or more out of hatteras. Call him soon as sch is filling fast. He may have 2 spots open on a split charter. I 1st met him in june 1999 ,17 miles offshore as we were pulling up to throw the hook into the wreck of Dixie Arrow in our Scarabcc, he was hooked into the stern area w/ his divers. Ive been on his boat about a dozen times .Good times w/no crowds.

Last edited:
There are 4 Dive Operators between Nags Head and Hatteras that do most of the trips:

Outer Banks Dive Center (in Nags Head)

Capt JT's Wreck Diving Site - Diving Hatteras NC and Virginia Beach VA

DiveHatteras.com - NC shipwreck diving at it's best!

Outer Banks Diving (in Hatteras)

In Nags Head, we usually dive with Bill (OBXDive) who does week day walk-on charters. In Hatteras, it's all JT. Duck to Nags Head is 30 - 45 min. Duck to Hatteras is 2+ hours. Nags Head is usually cooler and green, Hatteras is blue and warm.

Here's diving the Mexicano (about 140ft) off Nags Head:

[vimeo]6585997[/vimeo]

Here are a pair of videos from Hatteras, diving with JT. The tug (about 60 ft) and the Dixie Arrow (about 100 FT):

[vimeo]6156158[/vimeo] [vimeo]9197154[/vimeo]

I'd suggest Dry or 7mm with hood and gloves for Nags Head, 5 mm no hood or gloves for Hatteras. Be prepared for sea conditions averaging 4 FT. Bring a wreck reel for Nags Head. Standard gas for both locations that gets you to 90%+ of dives is 30%.

Good Luck!

Andy

Bill from OBX dive is really good people!

Here are a pair of videos from Hatteras, diving with JT. The tug (about 60 ft) and the Dixie Arrow (about 100 FT):

[vimeo]6156158[/vimeo]

Andy
Every time I watch this one I notice the big fish behind the shark swimming towards the surface on the right at 1:02- 1:04

Back
Top Bottom