Nc Outer Banks Diving In October

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archer1960

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to be on the outer banks, staying in Kitty Hawk, for a week in mid October, and am wondering how the diving is that time of year. I found Roanoke Island Outfitters, and Outer Banks Dive Center in Nag's head, both of which will be close enough to be feasible.

How is the shore diving around there at that time? Or do I need to get on a charter? I'm a relatively inexperienced diver, ~30 dives total, about half in the tropics and half here in New England (with its accompanying cold water, thick wet suits and crappy vis), and have Nitrox, AOW, Rescue Diver and Zombie Apocalypse diver (all PADI). My last dive was a snorkeling outing on New Year's day...

We've been to OBX last autumn (or was it a year before?) -- the surf was good enough for surfing, not so much for shore entries. My impression was, the sites are mostly wrecks, they're way out to sea, and a bit deeper than we'd like to go.

At Kitty Hawk the ocean will be colder than a few miles south. The Labrador current comes down along the shore to Cape Hatteras. South of Hatteras the Gulf Stream keeps things warmer.

I did NC in Oct back in 2004, though a bit to the south, Atlantic Beach/Morehead area. Water was OK, I was diving in a 3 mm shortie but I am kinda on the hot side (or at least I was back then). Vis was variable. Some dives were in a cloud of silt, some were good, some were a combo of good and bad vis due to the currents. You see a sand tiger next to you, next moment she vanishes in a cloud, then it clears again and so on. Expect long bumpy boat rides where all newbies puke. This and poor vis may affect your judgement. I suggest, dive only with an experienced buddy who will keep an eye on you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom