NC Lionfish aka MHC dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy g

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Quick trip report from last weekend.

Capt James aka Tortuga Charters seems to bring a lot of happiness to my weekends on the NC water!

Doubled on the Papoose and hit the Spar and another little wreck, I didn't care to get the name of. Current was SMOKIN on saturday on the first jump. Only releaf was inside the walls of the wreck, it had a neat little swim through. It was Kates first jump into current and she handled it like a champ. Second was an easy dive on the Spar. I dropped into the holds and back up. Dinked around the now canted wreck from one side to the other. It was the first time since the Hurricane moved it, spun and tipped her that we dove it. Nice wreck for training but not a lot of character............. yet. Give it a few years and it will be a pretty damn cool wreck.

Papoose never fails to deliver for us! I terminated (with great pleasure:D) a dozen lion fish and brought back 4 nice ones. From the initial drop onto the wreck the sand tigers were circulating. I killed and left everything I came across up until we started heading to the anchor to ascend. I kept the last 2 on each dive. They were DELICIOUS last night. :D:D:D It helps to have a great cook prepping and cooking them. :wink:I took Kate into the big break. It was her first time going into anything and she really enjoyed the swim. We had a huge loggerhead swim right down to use, like within 5 ft of us!! Slipped under a plate of metal and took a nap. Dolphins were surfing the swells withing 5-10 feet of the boat on the surface interval.

Vis was 30-40' on the bottom and 60-70' above the thermocline on all wrecks with temps in the mid 70's on the bottom and high 70s down to 70ft.

Cant wait for our next trip down to bring back even more lion fish!:koh:

I used a 3mm 3 weeks ago and got cold. I bought a new aqualock 5mm and never felt cold. It was very comfortable and warm.

I run cold anyway. If it's under 60 I wear a 7 and mid 60's or lower dive dry.

would you recommend a 3 or 5 for NC?? Thanks.

It depends on the wreck too. I just dove on the Indra this past weekend, which is close to shore and shallow, and it was 79 degrees all the way to the bottom there. A 3mm full suit is fine for that, even if you get cold easily. My DH had to keep letting water into his 5mm semi dry to cool off.

Way to go lionfish slayer! I saw some video from the Hyde this weekend - awesome!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom