nc freshwater dive spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

foneguy

Contributor
Reaction score
are there any fresh water dive locations near fort bragg? im looking for a place called acapulco lake? :06:

I think acapulco lake is a quarry in Lillington. Don't know if you can dive there. Just remember people going there in high school to swim. Not sure though.

i think i remember a quarry in that area but it had some kind of chemicals in the water. i would check with a couple dive shops and local authorities before jumping into water i dont know about
rich

We had a guy here locally (Indiana) several years back (I think it was the early 90's) who went diving in a lake and didn't realize that it was tainted by the overflow from the local sewage treatment plant....wound up with some sort of strange bacterial infection- I can ask my dad specifics, he helped diagnose the guy.

Definitely check into that place before doing anything. I haven't heard of anyone swimming there since high school - I won't say how long that's been. You can check out Fantasy Lake in Rolesville. That wouldn't be to far out of your way from Fort Bragg. I don't think you're going to find anything closer to FB.

Mel

thank you all for the info, greatly appreciate it.

Fantasy quarry in Raleigh is like only an hour and fifteen minutes away and has air refills...nitrox too. Plus lots of items sunk in the quarry. Give it a shot if you havent been there. I actually think it is better than Rawlings....except there are more bad vis days.
rich

Do people dive White Lake? I've been by there a coupld of times, and the viz looked pretty nice. I was just wondering about Scuba. (Of course, with all the watercraft, it might be a little less than safe...)

I'd appreciate any tips about the area, including fill stations, boat rentals, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Grier

foneguy:
are there any fresh water dive locations near fort bragg? im looking for a place called acapulco lake? :06:

the quarry known as Acapulco Lake is near Lillington, NC and from what I understand, is owned by a LDS in Fayetteville.

The use it for openwater checkout dives. I don't think they let anyone else in, unless your doing dives with others from the shop.

if your in the military at fort bragg, you'd better check the "off limits" list, i'm pretty sure Acapulco Lake is on it. there have been a number of drownings there over the years.

i do all my freshwater dives at Fantasy Lake (Rolesville Quarry) just north of Raliegh. and yeah, depending on traffic, takes about an hour and a half to get there.

I like Rawlings more than Rolesville, better vis. and more stuff to see (albeit it's still not very interesting). It's a bit farther away from me tho, and isnt worth the extra time to drive.

Back
Top Bottom