Navy to search for Arrow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 2 ships were only in the area for the search for a couple days and the search is completed for this summer. It appears that the wreck might have been spotted a couple years ago but was never charted anywhere or surveyed. Who knows, maybe they'll be back at it next summer to train reservists again...

A good read: http://www.thewhig.com/webapp/sitepages/content.asp?contentid=72631&catname=Local+News
and
http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040708/AVRO08/TPNational/Canada

From the Toronto Star:

Search for Avro models called off
CANADIAN PRESS

BELLEVILLE — Nine scale models of the Avro Arrow remain elusive treasures on the muddy bottom of Lake Ontario.
Crews aboard two Canadian Navy ships spent three days looking for the one-eighth scale models, but were unsuccessful.
"We found lots of things, but not just what we hoped to find," said Capt. Paul Doucette, a navy spokesman.
The HMCS Kingston and HMCS Glace Bay were equipped with sophisticated scanners and specially trained divers.
The ships were manned largely by reservists who used the mission for proficiency training and testing.
"It was a good experience for the folks on board the ships over the last couple of days," said Doucette.
The fabled Canadian jet fighter was scrapped by then-prime minister John Diefenbaker in 1959.
The models were attached to missiles and launched over Lake Ontario. After separating from the missiles, the models flew at nearly twice the speed of sound as they transmitted data to engineers on the ground. After each flight, the models crashed into the lake.
The models were launched from a military test site about 160 kilometres east of Toronto and about 85 kilometres north of Rochester, N.Y.
The search for the models was expected to be difficult because of their size. Each is three metres long, with a wingspan of two metres.

Bubblemaker_ontario:
The guys were really demoralized by this posting, the fact that they were issued “hatchets” ( Some went home and got their own chainsaws. )

They were issued hatchets because most of them had not had the mandatory Canadian Armed Forces "Chain Saw Safety Course" - really!!!

And they wonder why our military is a joke. Heres a gun to go shoot someone, but ya can't handle a chainsaw without a proper full day course!

The two ships ( i believe they are the same ones) are now docked behind our firehall in Toronto harbour. The sailors have been freindly, and have offered us tours of the ships, so I'm going to ask to see the video they shot of the schooner. If I can find out anything interesting (without being shot as a spy!), I will share here.....

Wheres Robert Ballard when you need him.

Scuba Duffer:
They were issued hatchets because most of them had not had the mandatory Canadian Armed Forces "Chain Saw Safety Course" - really!!!
Because there's no way you could injure yourself with a hatchet? That's what our world has become. People and organizations are all so afraid of being sued (and perhaps rightly so), that we're being restricted into immobility.

if it realy meant something to this country it would of been found long ago, theres no polictical drive just a few die hart Avro historians who managed to perswade the navy to take a few scans while on a show and tell manuver in the great lakes. It takes big money, expensive equipment and time to do the job correctly.

Richard

Groundhog246:
Because there's no way you could injure yourself with a hatchet?

I'm sure they all had the 2 day "hatchet safety course"!! :wink: Just so I'm not misunderstod, no slagging the fine men and women that decide to serve our country. Just a poke at the idiots that equip them with the most obselete and out of date equipment.

As for the Arrow, as an aviation enthusiast, I'd love to see them find one of those models. Problem is, as Mr Adams said, your talking HUGE amounts of money to do it properly and that just isn't going to happen. The rewards of finding the models wouldn't even come close to justifying the costs involved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom