Navy Recompression Table Questions??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JT2

Reaction score
Whenever I read anything about DCI hits and treatment for them, it seems that the Navy table 6 recompression table is what is used, my question is, what exactly is a table 6 recompression, as far as times,depths, gases used and so forth, also, are there other Navy tables, such as table 5 or table 7?? I am also curious to know if the chamber attendant would be on the same breathing gases as the patient. I would greatly appreciate some good info on this subject.

Search online for the U.S. Navy Diving Manual or buy a cheap CD on eBay. When you find Revision 4, Change A, you need to look for Volume 5, Chapter 21. Figure 21-8 (on page 21-41) is an abbreviated description of Treatment Table 6 and a graphic showing the depth/time profile.

Steven

I will let someone else go deeper but

Table 5 is 60' with like 20 min on o2 then a 5 min air break. Duration is around 5 hrs i think

Table 6 i think is 165' same breaks on o2

Table 7 is done when theres no o2 avail i think, not sure on depth though. This one is a bad one due to the time in recomression.

pls correct me if im inaccurate

Andy

My roomie ran off with my most recent treatment guide, but I do have an older one here.
There are not only 1- 6, but also have "a" designations (5a, 6a, etc)
A full table 6 starts at 60', 20 min air, 5 min O2 for 6 sessions, then goes to 30', varying the O2 & air, with the last 1.5hrs on O2
Total time is 285 min.
Is symptoms are relieved, they can switch to a different (shorter) table during the treatment.
Table 6a starts at 165'.

I don't think these have changed a whole lot, I can see if I can find my handbook & scan the pages if you're interested.

The USN Diving Manual is available for free download (by chapters even) at the Diverlink board: http://www.diverlink.com/library/usn/index.htm
I'm the guy that sells "the good ones" on ebay.

Howdy JT2:

You sure know how to ask a lot of question in a very few words! Short answer is, you hear about the Table 6 treatment so often, because it's pretty much the jack-of-all trades treatment for diving injuries. You can justify treating just about any diving injury requiring recompression with a Table 6. A Table 6 treatment involves a dive to 60 feet on O2 with periodic "air breaks" where the diver breathes air to reduce the risk of oxygen toxicity. A typical Navy Table 6 lasts 285 minutes (excluding descent time.) There are multiple variations of Table 6 treatments. For example, Navy Table 6A initially takes the diver down to 165' on air. It is probably most often used in cases of arterial gas embolism (but some think a regular Table 6 is just as good).

You hear about Table 5 treatments too sometimes. It also involves a dive to 60' on O2 with air breaks, but it's only 135 minutes long. It might be used when you suspect (but perhaps doubt) DCS and want to give a diver a "test of pressure" and it is sometimes used to treat non-neurological (pain only) DCS or as followups for subsequent treatments after a Table 6 treatment. It is also sometimes used for omitted decomprssion stops in divers with no symptoms.

The Navy also has Table 1A, 2A, and 3 which are air treatment tables when O2 isn't available. Table 7 is another air table with long times at depth. Table 4 can be used with O2 or air. Table 8 is a deep table that might use heliox. Total ascent time from 225' is 56 hours, 29 minutes in a Table 8.

The individual decompression status and oxygen clock for each diver in the chamber needs to be accounted for- including the attendants.

That brief summary barely scratches the surface. Best thing is probably to refer you to the horse's mouth. You can download and read the US Navy Diving Manual from:

http://diverlink.com/library/usn/

Head to Volume 5, particularly Chapter 21 to see the tables in graphic form (much easier to understand).

HTH,

Bill

Thanks for the info guys, I will go and download the manual now.

Dear JT2:

Treatment Tables

Every country with a navy has its own treatment tables, although many are the same as the US Navy 5 and 6. Also there are many treatment tables developed by commercial companies for their own use. Recreational groups likewise will also have a special table that differs a bit from the US Navy version. The US Air Force also has its own treatment tables.

The Navy version is most common in the United States, and was developed in the early 1960s as an alternative to air recompression. Using air was resulting in very long treatments and the resolution of DCS was only about 50%. Workman developed the low-pressure oxygen table in response to this need for better treatment methods. Oxygen has been found to be much more effective than slow depress on air (Table 4).

A version was added to handle cases of suspected embolization; this is the 5a and 6a series. The depth of 165 feet for these was somewhat arbitrary, because it was simply an amendment (or “add on”) of a deep air table that was already approved by the Navy. Such deep depths are usually not necessary.
Chamber Attendants :doctor:

Attendants breathe the chamber gas that is air. It is considered a big embarrassment to “bend” the attendant.:(

Dr Deco :doctor:

The most recent addition to the Navy tables is treatment table 9; the Navy adopted this table from the Kendal model for hyperbaric o2.

It is conducted at a chamber depth of 45 FSW; this allows more time on o2 with fewer air breaks (less chance of CNS or central nervous system o2 toxicity)

Tenders do have oxygen-breathing requirements; these are dependant on the table and the number of extensions used on the table:

TT-5 Tender breaths o2 for last final :30 unless they had a previous hyper baric exposure (within last 12 hours) then they breath for an additional :20

TT-6 last :60 at 30 and during accent to the surface / previous exposure add :20

TT-6A :60 and accent / more than one extension :90 and accent / previous exposure additional :60

TT-9 last :15 at 45 FSW and during accent

Tenders do not breath 100% o2 until the chamber has reached 30 FSW

One other new item is when treating deeper than 60 FSW (6A + 4) the diver can be breathing treatment gas or NITROX allowing absorption of a higher partial pressure of o2...

Jeff Lane

Here's what table 6 looks like, dark bars are air breaks, light bars are pure O2.

Roak

I have done a table 6A and it was to 165 ft but I was on tri mix at the 165 could not get narked that day. After I hit the ER it was 10 hrs before I went in to the chamber I was only given 02 30mins before I went in .Hows that sound to you??????
Oh yea the chamber was empty. then at 8am they gave someone else thier treatment first only they were not in the ER

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom