Navy Diving vs. Commercial diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont think they have the pathfinder school anymore, do they? The are using the Rangers and the QRF's platoons as pathfinders. When I was with the 3/22 25ID (Hawaii) back in 1988, we were doing the work of the pathfinders and the 19D's.

Still had Pathfinder School then. That's how you get the cool wing with colors.:D

The combat arms teaches a whole host of things that can be used in the cilvian world.
Like screaming and yelling at your subordinates and freak them out? Hehe.

They still have path finder schools, and the pin looks like a icecream cone with a wing, :shocked2::shocked2: Go army!!!

Looks like a SIG P226 9mm to me. But no silencer therefore uncool.

Correct, it's a 226 Navy. As far as suppressed weapons go for the teams, HK just won a contract to supply the HK45c's to the Navy special operations community in certain roles, most likely replacing the older Mk23 SOCOM.

As far as suppressed weapons go for the teams, HK just won a contract to supply the HK45c's to the Navy special operations community in certain roles, most likely replacing the older Mk23 SOCOM.

Great. Another few millions added on top of the millions went into the Offensive Handgun Program which resulted in the Mk23 that hardly gotten used because the damn thing is like 2-ft long.

Great. Another few millions added on top of the millions went into the Offensive Handgun Program which resulted in the Mk23 that hardly gotten used because the damn thing is like 2-ft long.

That was an incredibly large weapon. At least the HK45c is a more practically sized handgun.

I'm a 12 year vet of the us navy fleet diving and eod communities. if you want some insight on how these work please feel free to pm me.

erik

That was an incredibly large weapon. At least the HK45c is a more practically sized handgun.

One must also remember that the Mk23 was developed to be an Offensive Handgun Weapon System, not a mere sidearm and the requirements set forth by SOCOM necessitated that size for the purposes of accuracy at range.

Granted, I wouldn't want it on my thigh for an extended foot insertion but in certain situations it really would be very useful.

Peace,
Greg

One must also remember that the Mk23 was developed to be an Offensive Handgun Weapon System, not a mere sidearm and the requirements set forth by SOCOM necessitated that size for the purposes of accuracy at range.

Granted, I wouldn't want it on my thigh for an extended foot insertion but in certain situations it really would be very useful.

Peace,
Greg

"Offensive" Handgun is an oxymoron. The extra 2" or 3" length of the barrel means nothing in real world accuracy. Sure, revolvers having 6" or 8" barrels are extremely accurate at long ranges, but they also have better trigger pulls, much better iron sights not to mention firing rounds with a whole lot more oomph and ballistics than the weak ass .45ACP round.

Anyway, I think that this thread is too hijacked. Let's get back to SCUBA!!!

So, what do people think about packing a Glock 17 with retrofitted marine spring cup for anti-man-eating-shark application?:eyebrow:

I've carried at G19 with a SF X300 on it for the past couple years, but now the department I'm at only authorizes me to use Sigs, so I'm going to have to start rocking the 229. Of course I'll have to go with the Navy version so it won't rust on me. Besides the 226 Navy is still the main secondary for the teams as of now, that's diving related.

I retired in 2008 from the Navy Reserves - 6 years active duty as a submarine electrician, 4 years as a enlisted Reservist (made Chief) then commissioned in the Civil Engineering Corps and retired as an LCDR after 13 years and one deployment to the sand box.....

For me the Navy was the second best choice I ever made (the first was proposing to my darling bride)......

The Navy made me the person I am today.......

I will say this about the military......all the cool schools and advanced training opportunities are long shots.........the drop out rates are huge the competition for seats is tough and only the best are even given a chance and then the final end count is a fraction of those that started......

In my boot camp class there were 13 "nucs" of the 13 only 2 made it to the fleet as nucs.....

I would not rely on what any recruiter tells you, once in the service your in and then it is up to you to earn the training.......I was amazed to see small things trip up nuc students........failing inspections, poor leadership skills, missing musters, etc......

For anyone joining the Military for the top advanced training, just remember that everyday you need to earn the right to stay, the level of commitment to make it through these programs is without equal but the reward and experience will change you forever......

Also remember that Uncle Sam gives no guarantees......and going home is not an option.......so you could find yourself in a job that the Navy gives you based on their need not your desire……..on my sand box deployment one of my team had to change rates to a much less desirable career field as he lost his TS security clearance due to indebtedness…….his wife (who became his ex-wife after we retuned) partied with their money and did not pay the bills……a 12 year career turned upside down……….he had just re-enlisted for another 6……..

M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom