Navigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First up let me say this: Navigation is my big scary. I have less than zero confidence with this skill. Like TS&M said in her original post I let my more experienced buddy lead all the time. We have discussed it and he has attempted to make me lead a couple of times but it stresses me out greatly. This thread has been of great interest to me and has thrown up some good ideas and things for me to work on.

Boulderjohn I like your method, it makes sense to me and as obvious as it sounds when you write it down it just never occurred to me that it could be that simple. Thankyou.

Bob (grateful diver) I kind of get where you're coming from but still a bit confused, maybe practising this technique on land first would cement the concept in my brain a bit better. Also I would have to use a slate to record the information rather than trying to keep it in my head, my short term memory is particularly bad underwater (no idea why, but my memory skills are definitely affected by the underwater environment).

The only time I have been able to successfully navigate myself in poor vis is by using a reel. But hey, at least I know I can do that!

Back
Top Bottom