Navigate Away from This Page Popup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not cleared my cache (ever... I will have to Google and find out what this means and how to do it). That said, it only happens about 40% of the time - would an uncleared cache affect me only sometimes, like this? I have never had it happen in all my years of Internet use, and I've also never (to my knowledge) cleared a cache. I'm not saying this to challenge you - and I will go right now and look up about "cache," but more just as a possible clue to the behavior.

Blue Sparkle - on her way to learn about "cache"

Edited to add: Okay, I see, this is called "Clear history..." on my computer. I have used "Clear history..." in the past but had not broken it down into sub-categories, of which "cache" is one.

So this time I chose just the "cache" sub-category and permanently cleared it of everything (hopefully there wasn't anything I wanted there - from what I could tell it's just a sort of "pre-load" of pages I have visited?).

I will post back if the "Navigate away..." phenomenon happens again, with screen shots.

I am curious how cached pages would cause the whole page to be loaded into the reply box, but maybe there is no way to know that?

I have not cleared my cache (ever... I will have to Google and find out what this means and how to do it). That said, it only happens about 40% of the time - would an uncleared cache affect me only sometimes, like this? I have never had it happen in all my years of Internet use, and I've also never (to my knowledge) cleared a cache. I'm not saying this to challenge you - and I will go right now and look up about "cache," but more just as a possible clue to the behavior.

Blue Sparkle - on her way to learn about "cache"

Edited to add: Okay, I see, this is called "Clear history..." on my computer. I have used "Clear history..." in the past but had not broken it down into sub-categories, of which "cache" is one.

So this time I chose just the "cache" sub-category and permanently cleared it of everything (hopefully there wasn't anything I wanted there - from what I could tell it's just a sort of "pre-load" of pages I have visited?).

I will post back if the "Navigate away..." phenomenon happens again, with screen shots.

I am curious how cached pages would cause the whole page to be loaded into the reply box, but maybe there is no way to know that?

Also... I'm not a Mac guy, but I think Firefox 3.6 is fairly old in the world of browsers (even on the Mac). They are on Firefox 9.0.1 for Mac. This could resolve some browser weirdness you may be experiencing.

Also... I'm not a Mac guy, but I think Firefox 3.6 is fairly old in the world of browsers (even on the Mac). They are on Firefox 9.0.1 for Mac. This could resolve some browser weirdness you may be experiencing.

During the Firefox 4.x reign, I chose to stay with 3.x because there were some features on 4.x that I don't like; but I guess if they are up to 9.x I will have to take a gander at it again.

I spend a lot of time on the web, and so far I have not noticed any particular problems. Actually even this issue is not a big deal - I only popped into the thread because I saw that herman had posted about it and I thought maybe I could give a helpful clue. I'm mostly curious about it because I like to know the answer to mysteries. Once I figured out why it was happening (on my level that is - because it correlates to the whole screen being rendered in the reply box) then I just began clicking on "OK" and it was not much of a bother at all. (And it's only on about 30% of page loads and say, 20% of mid-thread replies.)

(I wonder if herman is using Firefox 3.x also?)

I will check into the new Firefox, but I'll probably stay on 3 for now just because I'm not in the mood for a new browser at the moment. If that means my "clues" are not helpful, no problem, I won't post back to the thread. OTOH, if you would be interested in a screen shot the next time it happens (if clearing the cache did not change it), then I would be happy to post back.

Blue Sparkle

Herman's screen shot is of Internet Explorer. It might be version 8?

I would at least make sure you have version 3.6.25 which is the last build of ver 3.6.

If clearing the cache solves your problem, then certainly post an update. Since this is an isolated incident, knowing the solution helps others who may have this happen to them.

I am using Windows 8 on this computer. I just cleared everything but considering I am getting it on 3 different computers I kinda doubt its a something stored. I will keep you posted.

Update : it did it again as I exited this post.

herman,

Can you look to see if there is a complete "screen shot" in the reply box at the bottom of the page when this happens? I'm just curious since it sounds so similar to what I have seen, and I have 100% correspondence of the "screen shot" in the reply box and the "navigate" pop up.

I've had that happen too recently... not very often though, seems to be only when I back out before the page fully loads, which you mentioned as a possibility. weird though. (I'm using chrome, fwiw)

I've had that happen too recently... not very often though, seems to be only when I back out before the page fully loads, which you mentioned as a possibility. weird though. (I'm using chrome, fwiw)

Interesting. For me it's not related to pages not completely loading. In fact sometimes I'll leave four or five threads open in tabs, and when I go to close them an hour or so later (so they are definitely fully loaded), I get the warning (in which case the full color page has rendered into the reply box at the bottom of the thread).

As I mentioned, sometimes I'll get a similar thing when I click "reply" to a post that is not at the end of the thread. That is, the reply box will open with a color rendering of the full web page. Of course then I can't type in my reply, so I cancel it and reload until I get the normal blank box (or sometimes reload the page).

Of course now I kind of want it to happen again so I can screen shot it, but it hasn't happened since yesterday.

Blue Sparkle

Okay, I have taken two screen shots showing the two things that always go together in my particular iteration of the "Do you want to navigate away.." pop-up.

What happens first is that when I open a thread, the entire "screen" is also rendered (for no particular reason) into the reply box at the bottom of the page. If I scroll down in the reply box I see the whole page I am on (not my whole computer screen, but an exact copy of the Scubaboard page I am on). Like this:

navigate 1.jpg

Then, if/when I go to close that thread/page, I get the pop-up, like so:

navigate 2.jpg

The first few times the pop-up showed itself, I didn't realize why (because I don't always have a reason to scroll down to the bottom of the page and look in the quick reply box). Once I clued in to the reply-box-screen-rendering, I have watched for it, and I seem to have 100% correlation. If the screen is rendered in the reply box, then I will always get the pop-up.

Occasionally, I will get another variation, which is that when I go to reply to a post that is not at the bottom of a thread (and so a reply box will open mid-page, to reply to that mid-thread post), again the whole screen will render into the box. In that case, I just keep refreshing the page, and usually after two or three refreshes with the screen in the reply box, it will come up with one where there is a blank reply box, and I can type my reply. In that case I don't get the pop-up, because I'm not trying to close the page (i.e. "navigate away").

But the example with the screen shots is the one I get most often.

It's not a big deal - once I figured out the correlation it's easy to just click "Okay." I'm just posting this in case it helps to figure out a problem (and I'm still wondering if herman gets the same thing, if he looks at the reply box at the bottom of the page when he has the pop-up).

I would guess this started around... three months ago?

Blue Sparkle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom