Navarre Pier/ P-Cola Beach 8-10-07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Met up with Halftime at the Navarre Pier at a little past 9:00 am. I had received a private message earlier in the morning that Reef Hound and Sea Yoda would also be there. We arrived a little late and Reef Hound and Sea Yoda were already about halfway to the break in the pier when we got there. We got our gear on and jumped in. although there was some nasty skies present when we got there, it was moving away from us at a quick pace and by the time we hit the water the skies looked fair. The water was nice and clear with 30 feet of visibility easy. Saw a southern ray on the way out and lots of juvenile snapper. Got to the break in the pier and hung out there for most of our dive. At the break in the pier there were a fair amount of stinging nettles, but with the visibility so good they were easy to avoid. That is until I started to navigate to the next set of pilons and had my eyes fixed on my compass instead of the jellyfish I head-butted (ouch) :11: .On the way back in we ran into two different species of octopi (sp?) and another southern ray. I was so excited to get the picture of the ray that I let loose of my dive flag and after taking about 6 pictures realized my mistake. I looked around and it was nowhere to be seen :dork2: . Our dive time was already 60 minutes and we were heading in anyways so we made our ascent there and called the dive with 1200 psi still in the tank. Upon surfacing we saw my dive flag about 100 yards away. I saw a couple on a kayak and asked them to recover my dive flag, which they did (I owe them a beer). Hit a max depth of 22 fsw, water temps at max depth was 82*. After such an enjoyable dive we decided to join Sea Yoda and Reef Hound at Pensacola Beach for a dive there. The water was clear on the way out there, but the algae had moved in covering the site. I think I only saw about four stinging nettles during the entire dive. Visibility was 8 to 15 in places, which made for an ok dive, but just not as good as it has been lately. Made a 70 min dive and had to go in due to afternoon plans with the family. Had a great day of diving and it was nice to meet some more people from the MBT Dive Forum and Scubaboard. Here are some pictures from the dive:

0411.JPG

0562.JPG

070.JPG

0711.JPG

0611.JPG

089.JPG

0911.JPG

092.JPG

1011.JPG

Sure you saw two different species of octopii? They can change color and texture, very difficult to identify one from another.

Really digging the last shot with the spadefish.

As always, thanks for the report!

Nice report and great pictures. Thanks.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Really digging the last shot with the spadefish.

I wish I could claim the picture came out well due to my super photography skills, instead of blind luck :D .

Thanks for the dives wjefferis I had a blast. Like I have told you my pic's look crappy compared to yours. I hope it's just a flash thing.

upload a few onto scubaboard, then click on the picture, scrool down below the picture and click "copy to clipboard." then all you have to do is right click on your mouse and paste it in your reply to message screen. Don't worry about comments, when I posted my crappy pictures everyone was nice. The best part is we can all give you some advice to help your pics get better. The strobe will improve your pictures without a doubt though.

Back
Top Bottom