Navarre Beach Pier 7-15-6 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I arrived at Navarre Beach around 8AM Saturday morning to see SeaYoda had already arrived. viajerochevere, frankc420, and two of their buddies(big one-armed marc and randy) had already arrived as well. We all introduced ourselves and NateBrr arrived as well. Our dive plan was simple, we'd don our gear, head to the water, swim to the pier, and follow it south until it ends and perhaps further to see if we could find additional rubble supposedly further out.

After heading out of the knee-high surf, we finned up and headed underwater. Visibility was ~5' at first and we headed south and west. SeaYoda was the only other diver I had in view, but with visibility, I wasn't sure if everyone was trailing behind or doing their own thing. We either jetted between pylons without noticing them(vis wasn't very high afterall) or we passed through an area of the pier that been knocked out without spans at all. The end result was the same, we overshot the pier and ended further west than intended. We did, however, find the remains of an old wooden pier that had once layed just west of the current rubble. I surfaced to get our bearing and we made our way to the intended pier. There was quite a bit of junegrass and sawgrass caught up on the rubble. Lots and lots of fish, baitfish, mangroves, spanish mac, tropicals, flounder, ect. Visibility had improved to 15-25' and we were buzzed by a 2' remora, a few large redfish(red drum), and even a pair of grouper. We found an octopus hiding away between some rebar hanging off some rubble. SeaYoda and I did swim south of the pier pylons, atleast 100m, but found no remains of any other rubble. We hit a max depth of 30', so perhaps it had been covered in sand? Our dive lasted 67 minutes. We met up with everyone else, they'd already finished their dives, and everyone seemed to have had a great time.

Guess we have another dive site :D

~4.5 hour later, we'd be back in the water diving the Alabama Point Jetties in Orange Beach, AL, followed by 2 additional dives at the Whiskey Wreck in Gulf Shores, AL. Reports on those will be posted in the Dixie Diver Forum.

The sea life on the pier was pretty good, I'd love to see it on a calm day with no seaweed.

Here are the pictures that were salvageable - lots of sand and seaweed gave even the close up shots a lot of backscatter.

715one.jpg

715walk.jpg

715gear.jpg

715bait.jpg

715bait2.jpg

715spng.jpg

SeaYoda:

The ascent rate of your 'final ascent' almost makes it look like you were testing your 'Polaris Missile' ascent! My first thoughts were dang you came up quick.

However, I noted the Sensus 2 actually has an acent rate measurement (pretty cool) and that max number doesn't look near as bad as the graph depicts.

Great pics SY, I didn't realize it until I started uploading pictures, but I had my ISO cranked to 400, so everything I have is pretty grainy. Here are the better ones...

Pylon.jpg

Octopus.jpg

I enjoyed the dive. I wish I could have made it out a little farther. I got to sea my first sting ray. The surge kinda got to me a little bit at the end, but all in all I have to say good times.

mike_s:
The ascent rate of your 'final ascent' almost makes it look like you were testing your 'Polaris Missile' ascent! My first thoughts were dang you came up quick...
I did stretch my air supply to try and match SBM's so I was very low. I came up to the surface with enough to fill my BC for the back float to shore from the inner side of the gap in the pier. It was a faster ascent than I normally do, straight up (which I usually do only on boat dives), but still not an emergency situation by far.

SBM,

Had a great time. I'm glad you met up withus to show the "newbies" around. Oh and BTW, it's "big one-armed Mike"... not Marc. :) We'll definetly have to come down again and dive some more. I just need to practice now sucking air so much. :|

Thanks again.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom