Navarre accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went out to Okaloosa Island Peir this afternoon. This peir is in Fort Walton Beach, between Navarre and Destin. I noticed right away this same type of trough we have been talking about in Navarre. Thought I would take a picture and post it here. This is not exactly like the Navarre trough, but you get the idea. It looks easy to navigate now because the surf is clear and flat. Imagine just a little surf and this hole would be hidden...I watched some kids fall in it walking in the surf.

BeachTrough.jpg

I'm going "back to basics" and buying a strong clip to be sure my reg is always close by.

And that - if nothing else - is what this forum is for.

Thanks again!
Trish

I would suggest anyone to consider keeping their octo on a necklace so it's always just under their chin.

I would suggest anyone to consider keeping their octo on a necklace so it's always just under their chin.

This is exactly what I was speaking of. Thanks for the link Brian. As I said before, I love my necklace. So much better and safer than the clips or what have you.

God forbid ANYTHING happen to any of us.... BUT if something happened to take me from this earth, I would want EVERYONE to know two things!

One, I died doing what I LOVED!
Two, I would want everyone to talk about the incident as we are doing here.

Open and freely. There are times when thoughts and possibilities get crossed with facts but if you can think of something that could happen.... then chances are that it might very well happen and if you (us) all can think of better ways to continue to be safe divers then.... that is what I would want!

DITTO to Huntster70.

We should all learn as much as we can about anything that can help keep you safe / safer in the future.

I dive with almost all of my immediate family (kids, their spouses and my grandson) so the stakes are very high for me.

I would want them to know how much I love them and have been blessed to share this wonderful sport with all of them. But if something were to happen please remember Hunsters words and try to learn all you can and maybe someone will learn something that could make them a better diver and possibly save a life.

I don't want to offend anyone but it seems like all of the threads on someone being killed go the same route. After the initial report someone speculates about what might have happened and then he/she is basted for the fact that it is too early to tell and they should keep their opinion to themselves until we learn more. I think we all agree that when someone dies it is horrible and it causes us all to think about if we are being as safe as we should be. However if all we have is thread after thread of condolences than what is the point? On this thread we have people who were there that day and maybe we can learn from them what happened by asking questions and speculating to a certain degree. I don't think it is anyones intention to offend the families of the deceased and I have to really wonder if they are looking at Scubaboard anyway.

I don't want to offend anyone but it seems like all of the threads on someone being killed go the same route. After the initial report someone speculates about what might have happened and then he/she is basted for the fact that it is too early to tell and they should keep their opinion to themselves until we learn more. I think we all agree that when someone dies it is horrible and it causes us all to think about if we are being as safe as we should be. However if all we have is thread after thread of condolences than what is the point? On this thread we have people who were there that day and maybe we can learn from them what happened by asking questions and speculating to a certain degree. I don't think it is anyones intention to offend the families of the deceased and I have to really wonder if they are looking at Scubaboard anyway.

No offense taken. You are pretty much correct however there is the human factor that we as SB members must deal with. Each death touches individuals, some more than others. And because we are part of such a "small community", everybody knows everybody (matter of speaking of course). Therefore, when somebody passes, it is very difficult for some people to see the specific incident torn apart for the education of everybody else. There is another forum specifically for condolences, however most people will say something in here as part of their contribution to the speculation and dismantling of the incident. This tends to just be out of respect.

I know it is tough watching people fight this forum over and over, but remember that it is humans on the other end and they usually just lost someone they knew or cared about. That is why we politely discuss the intent of this forum and pay our respects as well. After all, we too are just human (or we hope we are :D).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom