Navarre accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious, didn't you encounter this trench on the way out? While not conclusive, it is looking like an accident that originated while "on the surface" and not underwater on scuba.

I was with MrXRay on the Navarre dive. As he said, the surf was a little rough but manageable. I would say the rollers were 2 to 3 feet.
I was suprised by the deep trench so close to shore also. The water was just over my knees, I had my fins off, regulator out, and mask off. I was 15 feet from the sand and "assumed" the dive was over. I took one step and I was in water over my head and sinking. After a "what the hell" moment, i hit my inflater and popped to the surface. As we kicked across the 15 foot channel, we were swept about 50 yards down the beach. I remember watching the pier streak by overhead as i layed on my back and kicked toward shore.
The lesson I re-learned, the dive is not over until you are on "dry" land or safe and secure back on board a boat. At the very least, I should have inlated my bc prior to walking toward shore. And, I should have had my regulator in, or at least had the reg in my hand.

To Scuba066's point, I have always done a good job of keeping my rig "Tied up Tight", in an incident like we had where we stepped into a hole and were caught by suprise it was nice to know my regulator was clipped to my BC and was just a quick yank away from being back in my mouth. I have seen a lot of divers that just leave there regs, octos and gauges dangling behind them, this could have been a problem in the surf situation we found ourselves in. I think the Rec diving community can learn a lot by looking and watching cavers and how tightly they keep there gear to there person.

Just curious, didn't you encounter this trench on the way out? While not conclusive, it is looking like an accident that originated while "on the surface" and not underwater on scuba.

We must have dove through it on the way out. My computer shows we went through a hole in our 4 minute dive from 3 feet to 7 feet and tehn back to 3 feet again. So Yes, I believe we did encounter the hole it just wasn't obvious as we were underwater.

There is a very odd (meaning out of the ordinary) trough at Navarre right now. I think it showed up after the last hurricane that passed by. When we did our night dive a few weeks ago, as we were exiting after the dive, I was literally at the shore and there was a sand shelf at the waters edge. I had to crawl on my hands and knees to get out of the water. I have NEVER seen anything like this in all my years of living on the Gulf. Stasia, do you remember me doing that? I think Halftime helped me stand up after that. As XRay stated, this can be a VERY dangerous situation, especially in rough surf.

We must have dove through it on the way out. My computer shows we went through a hole in our 4 minute dive from 3 feet to 7 feet and tehn back to 3 feet again. So Yes, I believe we did encounter the hole it just wasn't obvious as we were underwater.

There is a very odd (meaning out of the ordinary) trough at Navarre right now. I think it showed up after the last hurricane that passed by. When we did our night dive a few weeks ago, as we were exiting after the dive, I was literally at the shore and there was a sand shelf at the waters edge. I had to crawl on my hands and knees to get out of the water. I have NEVER seen anything like this in all my years of living on the Gulf. Stasia, do you remember me doing that? I think Halftime helped me stand up after that. As XRay stated, this can be a VERY dangerous situation, especially in rough surf.

I hope this is not out of place for my comment and I do apologise if it is, as I am a newb to these boards and I know this is accident and incidents but it's already gone off course several times, so here it goes again:

I have a very good friend who became a quadriplegic in Australia surfing a very familiar beach when conditions had changed drastically.

Thank you for discussing these events as I will soon be diving these sites and the more I learn about the conditions I am unfamiliar with the better.

And thanks MRXRay for your comments about telling your family how much you love them before you go for your dive.

It made me realise that now both DH and myself are diving together how vulnerable that leaves my kids. But without passion and fun, life does not go forward... I have lost many friends and family so young to the forces of everything... diving maybe safer than cars, horses, cancer and so on... or it may not. We can't surround our family in a bubble all our lives... I wish we could.

A place for thoughtful condolences: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/passings/258113-andrea-coyle.html

Please remember not to place condolences here. Personally I don't think it is fair to the family, friends, or loved ones to have to scroll through all the speculation to read the condolences, especially considering some may not be ready for it. The "Passings" forum gives them a place to go and read other's thought w/o being interrupted with discussion on the accident/incident.

The lesson I re-learned, the dive is not over until you are on "dry" land or safe and secure back on board a boat. At the very least, I should have inlated my bc prior to walking toward shore. And, I should have had my regulator in, or at least had the reg in my hand.

On the face of what has been divulged thus far; it seems the above reminder is what needs to be taken away from this tragic event.

Someone mentioned earlier about the dive site being benign and later GLENFWD speaks of the landscape under the water changing from a recent storm. Since the storm there seems to be a rather deep trough that has developed. I think that is another lesson - a dive that may be benign to someone one day may change drastically by the next time you dive it. One should never become complacent and assume things are going to be the same as the last time.

I am still a bit lost on the details behind the group of three and what may have went awry there. Hopefully this information will be shared soon.

There was a similar "trench" at the Pensacola pier rubble site several years ago, and it "swallowed up" several surprised divers that I know of - luckily, nobody was seriously hurt, but it made for some interesting training.

There was a similar "trench" at the Pensacola pier rubble site several years ago, and it "swallowed up" several surprised divers that I know of - luckily, nobody was seriously hurt, but it made for some interesting training.

The trench/trough there now seems to have gotten deeper after a day of larger surf. Hopefully it will fill back in soon as it seems unsafe to someone unprepared right now. Imagine a swimmer, vs a diver.

To Scuba066's point, I have always done a good job of keeping my rig "Tied up Tight", in an incident like we had where we stepped into a hole and were caught by suprise it was nice to know my regulator was clipped to my BC and was just a quick yank away from being back in my mouth. I have seen a lot of divers that just leave there regs, octos and gauges dangling behind them, this could have been a problem in the surf situation we found ourselves in. I think the Rec diving community can learn a lot by looking and watching cavers and how tightly they keep there gear to there person.

Mr. XRay, thank you very much for this post. It made me think on it and yes, I am one of those divers whose Reg just dangles behind them. Although I am 99.9% a boat diver, the rule is the same: you shouldn't take your reg out until you are on dry land or the boat! But we all know that it happens. So next time I'm at the scuba shop, instead of buying some new fancy gadget for diving or for my underwater camera, I'm going "back to basics" and buying a strong clip to be sure my reg is always close by.

And that - if nothing else - is what this forum is for.

Thanks again!
Trish

Back
Top Bottom