Nautilus Lifeline - where do you put it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maniago

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This might seem kind of stupid, but I'm trying to decide where the best place to clip or store my Naut on my BCD - in the pocket seem logical, but its not - failed zipper and its gone. D ring clip seems obvious, but where - high, low, on the chest strap? And the clip on it is wicked hard to clip, not user friendly especially with gloves - maybe that's by design.

Second question is, if you have to get it out or unclip it from where ever, do you have a safety line already on it so you don't drop it, or on a bungie or...?

Just want to see what ideas have been used, tried or discarded for better - lessons learned if you will. Thanks for any input!

What I do:

First, I used a small-headed screwdriver to remove the clip. It was a PITA, but doable.

Then, I tied a stainless steel marine bolt snap onto the loop in the lid.

I stow the Nautilus Lifeline clipped to the bungee loop in my left thigh pocket.

If surface conditions were rough enough to warrant securing it to me when in use, I would clip it off to a chest D ring.

I'm interested in what approach others have taken.

Yeah, I totally don't get this clip - looks like its reversed. I would think that the lower tang should be inside the upper one....I've asked them about this, but still waiting for an explanation.

You can't push the upper, and just about as hard to pull on the lower. Maybe its supposed to be hard to clip on and easy to yank off. But that makes no sense if youre in the water and are trying to reclip it after your first hail....

Attachments

• IMG_6177.jpg
    IMG_6177.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 210
This might seem kind of stupid, but I'm trying to decide where the best place to clip or store my Naut on my BCD - in the pocket seem logical, but its not - failed zipper and its gone. D ring clip seems obvious, but where - high, low, on the chest strap? And the clip on it is wicked hard to clip, not user friendly especially with gloves - maybe that's by design.

Second question is, if you have to get it out or unclip it from where ever, do you have a safety line already on it so you don't drop it, or on a bungie or...?

Just want to see what ideas have been used, tried or discarded for better - lessons learned if you will. Thanks for any input!

I carry mine in my left expandable zipper pocket, clipped to a tether that is clipped via a dbl-ender to my left hip d-ring. I run the line so it is tight to my BCD and thus hard to snag. So far so good.

I may move it to a back butt-pouch I purchased but haven't tried yet. If I do that I will still tether it separately.

Ah, I figured out the clip - it is as I mused - easy to to pull off a Dring. Its actually not that hard to reclip, though its a two handed operation; one hand to steady the dring and the other to jam it on. It will need some kind of a tether, maybe parachute chord and a carabiner ...

Yeah, I totally don't get this clip - looks like its reversed. I would think that the lower tang should be inside the upper one....I've asked them about this, but still waiting for an explanation.

You can't push the upper, and just about as hard to pull on the lower. Maybe its supposed to be hard to clip on and easy to yank off. But that makes no sense if youre in the water and are trying to reclip it after your first hail....

I clip mine to my upper D-ring, it's designed for push up to clip on, and pull out and down to take off, it can be done with one hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom