NAUI offers OW and EANx combo course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am pretty sure my PADI Nitrox course back in 1997 included two dives(compulsory). Where is my log book?

I am pretty sure my PADI Nitrox course back in 1997 included two dives(compulsory). Where is my log book?

used to. Rumor has it that NAUI is trying to remove the dives in the 2019 standards. Realistically the only benefit that I see of it is the "dive shop experience" of how to rent nitrox tanks or get nitrox fills. Other than that, there is no reason to actually do dives since there are no skills involved

used to. Rumor has it that NAUI is trying to remove the dives in the 2019 standards. Realistically the only benefit that I see of it is the "dive shop experience" of how to rent nitrox tanks or get nitrox fills. Other than that, there is no reason to actually do dives since there are no skills involved
At least I got the first hand experience on the actual meaning of extended bottom time rather than from a book. As my gas consumption was good enough to last the pace because I had long past the beginner stage of diving.

At least I got the first hand experience on the actual meaning of extended bottom time rather than from a book. As my gas consumption was good enough to last the pace because I had long past the beginner stage of diving.

you're not going to get that benefit at the OW level where a lot of this should be taught, and there is no point in needlessly increasing the cost of the course just for someone to go "huh, I can now get an extra 5 minutes before my NDL kicks over.

NAUI gives an MSRP & At Cost listing in the Instructor portal for purchasing materials, so we instructors can compare for ourselves and set the price. They said last member update, there would be a cost break in the MSRP of OW/Nitrox combo when compared to taking the packets separately.
It is completely up to the instructor how they want to price it.

As for Nitrox checkout dive requirements & 2019 expected changes: there is no change other than naming. NAUI hasn't required Nitrox dives for the cert for a while.
They are trying to go with the route PADI did in terms of Nitrox certification semantics. I had a a talk with the Training Director about the differences between their 2 current Nitrox certs last year when work was getting ready to certify a number of divers for a research project.

NAUI for a long time has EANx Diver & EANx Program certifications; at least since 2013 when I became rated. Program gave you the knowledge with no dives. Diver meant you did Program with the 2 OW checkout dives. There was no practical difference in terms of how a LDS read and treated you based on which card the diver carried.

They're trying to simplify the semanti cs since so many agencies aren't requiring checkout dives with Nitrox. They're on ball with Nitrox being more pre-dive routine & knowledge VS new dive skills. The only skill change you make diving Nitrox is your MOD or a decrease of the 130ft recreational depth limit. But that's just splitting hairs for "pay attention to your depth & buoyancy", which you do anyways on air.

Last edited:
@g1138 the problem with the separation is that you can't certify a "nitrox diver" without actually diving nitrox. I.e. you would then have to submit a pair of certifications if you teach them together which is stupid. Terrance was trying to get it done for 18, but obviously didn't happen. Hopefully it happens in 19 because it's ridiculous.

science is a loose term...mathematics is really what a nitrox course requires...6th grade mathematics at that.
I just took the PADI nitrox class and over there you don't need math, only some biology, physics, and common sense.

@g1138 the problem with the separation is that you can't certify a "nitrox diver" without actually diving nitrox. I.e. you would then have to submit a pair of certifications if you teach them together which is stupid. Terrance was trying to get it done for 18, but obviously didn't happen. Hopefully it happens in 19 because it's ridiculous.

Yup, in agreement with ya.

When I took the SSI Nitrox course (took it as a separate specialty), It was just a matter of sitting down with an instructor, going thru the course materials (pretty quick review, actually), and analyzing the contents of a Nitrox tank. That was it. no dives required.Can't remember what the cost was any more, but IIRC, it was pretty reasonable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom