NAUI Master Diver vs NAUi Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP: I'm not a dive professional from any agency and I don't have any NAUI certifications, but I have been interested in the NAUI Master Diver ever since I learned about it and have researched it. It is my understanding that in the NAUI ranks you HAVE to do the Master Diver program before you can progress to Divemaster. That was one of the things that I always respected about NAUI vs PADI...there would be a lot less PADI DMs that have been certified for less than a year. I don't know if this policy is still in effect but it would seem that you would just simply complete Master Diver and then sign up for their Dive Master course if you meet the prerequisites.

Hello Sara,

There are people and places on the Internet that may ignore your type of question or even laugh, but this much I can promise you ...

We will make every effort to answer all questions no matter how silly someone else may think they are ... None of us were born as a Know It All. We all had to ask the same questions at one time or another. You will notice that for every question asked on these forums that the ratio of Views vs. Replies is usually very high which means there were alot of other people curious about the same question you had.

:D

Unless something has changed, this isn't entirely correct. And I confess I haven't looked recently. But in the past, NAUI DM candidates who didn't have the Master Diver cert could be allowed in providing they pass the Master Diver written exam, provided they met all other eligibility criteria. I rarely do a DM or Master cert, so I'm not as up on the criteria as I should be, but I believe that is still accurate.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added December 13th, 2013 at 04:31 AM ----------

Okay, I don't know what happened there. I thought I was quoting Jeff Scott's post in my response.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Yes DM candidates must either be a master diver OR pass the master diver exam, which is no easy task for the average diver.

Sorry guys. I apologize if was somewhat inaccurate and for stepping out of my lane. I just tried to hit on a point that I didn't think was being addressed in the answers to the OPs question. In my simple mind, if I'm going to buy the course materials and do all the book work to pass the exam, then I'm gonna pay the money and do the dives to get the MSD rating.

Sorry guys. I apologize if was somewhat inaccurate and for stepping out of my lane. I just tried to hit on a point that I didn't think was being addressed in the answers to the OPs question. In my simple mind, if I'm going to buy the course materials and do all the book work to pass the exam, then I'm gonna pay the money and do the dives to get the MSD rating.

The prerequisite for beginning the DM class states the following ...

Certification as a NAUI Master Diver and Scuba Rescue Diver or their equivalent. Divers with evidence of equivalent training and experience may enroll provided they pass the Master Diver and Scuba Rescue Diver written examinations with minimum scores of 75% on each.

By "equivalent" they're indicating both academics and in-water skills must be presented as evidence. This means you must demonstrate some proficiency in the areas mandated for the Master Diver program ... specifically in-water rescue skils, deep/simulated decompression diving, limited visibility/night diving, underwater navigation, and S&R/light salvage. With the exception of simulated deco, I cover all of those pretty heavily in my AOW class, which gives my students a leg up on the in-water portion of the Master Diver program should they decide to persue it. These areas are also covered ... and must be performed to "demonstration quality" ... as part of the 10 mandated dives for the Divemaster program. Either way you're going to have to do the dives, or demonstrate to your instructor's satisfaction that you have the in-water skills, before completing Divemaster. And at the DM level you're required to perform them to "demonstration quality" so it behooves you to have some experience in these areas prior to beginning the DM program.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dan ... GUE Fundies is not the answer to the question.

The OP didn't ask for a recommendation for skills ... he asked what additional training was required to go from one NAUI class to the other. In order to answer his question he needed to understand what each class was.

FWIW - GUE Fundies is a good class ... I've taken it a couple times ... but it won't do diddly squat to get you either a NAUI Master Diver or Divemaster rating.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yes, this is correct. I will be getting my NAUI MD cert through UCLA scientific diver program next quarter. I want to be able to lead dive charters. Hence, the reason for my question. It seems to me that all the technical training that I need for my DMC will be taught in the MDC course. So is it a matter of "on the job" training that is all needed and a final test?

So is it a matter of "on the job" training that is all needed and a final test?

remember that in addition to the on "on the job" training and final test, there are required pool skills for divemaster and depending upon your level of fitness and swimming skills could be challenging.

Yes, this is correct. I will be getting my NAUI MD cert through UCLA scientific diver program next quarter. I want to be able to lead dive charters. Hence, the reason for my question. It seems to me that all the technical training that I need for my DMC will be taught in the MDC course. So is it a matter of "on the job" training that is all needed and a final test?

There are some requirements for class management ... in effect you have to demonstrate your ability to demonstrate skills, brief students, guide dives, manage "problem" students, and all the usual things a dive leader would be expected to do. In addition, there are some academics, and a written Leadership exam. Finally, there are membership dues to NAUI and a requirement for insurance. If you're DM'ing through a shop you can generally be put on the shop policy. Otherwise, it's I believe something like $350-$400 for a $1 million liability policy.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

While you do need at least a DM rating to lead dive charters, it is unlikely that you will do much of that with a DM cert unless you are a travel agent putting together dive trips. As you are aware, a DM on a boat in So Cal stays on the boat. You could lead beach dives locally, but I think it is mostly PADI shops in your area and they may require you to be a PADI DM.

remember that in addition to the on "on the job" training and final test, there are required pool skills for divemaster and depending upon your level of fitness and swimming skills could be challenging.

The MD course has these "pool skills" built into it;

a) Swim underwater without swim aids for a distance of 25 yards without surfacing.
b) Swim underwater with fins for a distance of 50 yards, surfacing exactly three times.
c) Swim 400 yards in less than 10 minutes without swim aids.
d) Tread water for 10 minutes, or 2 minutes without the use of hands, without swim aids.
e) Without the use of swim aids, transport another person of equal size a distance of 25 yards in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom