NAUI DM certification - LDS or independent instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm considering going through NAUI to become a divemaster. I contacted the only dive shop in my area that has NAUI instructors to discuss my options and their expectations, but I haven't heard back and it has been about a week. Prior to the call, I even filled out one of those online "contact us" forms where they promise to get back to you. :) I'll reach out again in the near future, but the lack of response kind of surprised me. I'm open to working with an independent instructor, but I'm not sure what that process might entail: where training would be held, any differences in costs, payment, etc. Just to be clear, I'm not looking for a divemaster internship that I often see discussed on this board.

Any advice on training with a LDS or independent instructor? Besides, of course, get the best instructor.

Are you actually looking for a divemaster course or NAUI master diver class? Similar content two different certs. The Master class is basically DM/Instructor level knowledge without the teaching component.
As for the internship part, any DM class that does not include an extensive internship component where you are working with actual divers is pretty lame.
The main reason I don't take on DM candidates is I don't feel I teach enough students to give the candidate a good internship experience. Plus I keep my classes small, OW no more than 4, with most specialties no more than 2. Maybe three if the 3rd is really on their game as a diver to begin with.

Are you actually looking for a divemaster course or NAUI master diver class? Similar content two different certs. The Master class is basically DM/Instructor level knowledge without the teaching component.

NAUI divemaster. This is what I am interested in: Divemaster | NAUI Worldwide. Dive Safety Through Education

My research indicates that the Master [Scuba] Diver course is a requirement on the way to becoming a divemaster:

"Successful completion of the NAUI Master Scuba Diver course is a prerequisite for enrollment in the NAUI FIT course in preparation for professional membership as a NAUI Leader or Instructor."

My comment about divemaster internships concerns the 3-6 month daily internships hauling tanks. The NAUI divemaster program appears to be geared to certify an individual to lead dives, rather than assisting with instruction, if I read the description correctly, as you can take the Assistant Instructor course or the divemaster course (and still become an instructor):

"Both the Assistant Instructor and Divemaster ratings allow individuals to attend an Instructor Training Course (ITC) to be trained and qualified as NAUI Instructors. Completion of a NAUI Familiarization-Instruction-Testing (FIT) Program is required prior to enrollment in the NAUI Assistant Instructor course, NAUI Divemaster course, or NAUI Instructor Crossover Course (ICC)."

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm considering going through NAUI to become a divemaster.
Why?

I am on a kick lately of asking this question any time anyone expresses interest in becoming a DM. Frequently, the response has a lot to do with learning to be a better diver, and my response is that there are a lot of other choices that will do a better job of making you a better diver.

If, on the other hand, you want to do the sorts of things that DMs do, and if you especially want to move ahead and become an instructor, then go for it. But first, do some research to make sure your plans are practical. Find out what DMs in your area do, how often they do it, and how much they earn when they do. For example, being a DM for an independent instructor might (or might not) result in very, very little actual work. In my area, there aren't many independent instructors for any agency, and they teach small classes with no need for a DM and no desire to spit the income with one.. It can also matter what agency you choose; If you wanted to be a NAUI DM in my area (Colorado), you would be in real trouble because the only NAUI OW instructor I know of in the state only does university classes, with no DMs.

If you really want to do it, go into the store personally and ask people about it. Find out what the future is. See if you like them enough to want them to be your Mentors through a very long instructional process. See if they are the kind of people you want to work for.

Why?

I am on a kick lately of asking this question any time anyone expresses interest in becoming a DM. Frequently, the response has a lot to do with learning to be a better diver, and my response is that there are a lot of other choices that will do a better job of making you a better diver.

If, on the other hand, you want to do the sorts of things that DMs do, and if you especially want to move ahead and become an instructor, then go for it.

I'd like to lead dives. Friends who are interested in diving would like to dive with me. I'd like to lay the groundwork for a second career, once I'm done with full-time research and evaluation. That may involve becoming an instructor at some point. I'm planning on moving sometime in the near future to be closer to diving opportunities that don't involve quarries and it doesn't interest me to wait until that time, because things often don't work out the way you planned. I don't know - are those good enough reasons? :)

I'm imagining this to be about a two-year process, as I'm not in a hurry. I am acquainted with the NAUI instructor and I'm familiar with his shop, which is why I reached out to them. It's a relatively long drive from where I live, though, so I thought I'd set up a time to chat, first, before driving out there and hoping he was hanging around.

Your reasons are good, but a lot of your decision making depends upon where you want to lead those dives and what it will take to do it.

In the United States in general, there has not been a whole lot of in-water dive guiding going on. It is changing to some degree in the area where I dive most (Florida), but mostly in the U.S. the DM helps on the boat deck. If you go to places like the Caribbean, you will find DMs leading dives much more, but most of them are already instructors. When a shop hires you, it is looking for a versatile employee who can do a whole lot of things. I am thinking right now of a dive trip I took about a dozen years ago, and the man who drove me from the airport to the resort was a DM on a number of the dives, he certified me as a nitrox diver, he sold me a hat when he was working the retail counter, and I even think he helped serve the food at times. Since everyone spoke English on that rip, I never got to see his language skills, but knowing at least one more language in a place like that helps a lot.

If all that sounds like what you are looking for, then I suggest you look ahead. Think of the places you might want to go for the future and start scouting. Check out the NAUI shops in those areas for the potential of working for them after you get your desired certification. You might even decide to do the certification there.

Hi ScubaJill,
Where are you located in Va? I'm a NAUI Instructor Trainer in the Richmond area and I might be able to point you in the right direction. My dive shop is a designated NAUI Training facility, which means we can make NAUI DM's, Instructors, and Instructor Trainers, as we have a Course Director on staff.
There are a lot of good independent instructors out there, but here's my advice. I think it's very beneficial to be able to train for DM or AI or Instructor under several Instructors. People have different ways of getting the same information across and it's important that you find the best way for you. Being able to watch multiple ways of teaching is a big plus.
You are correct in your research of the path to take. Assuming you have your Advanced and Rescue certs, Master Diver would be your next step. Even if you don't have your rescue, we can combine the 2 classes. I've got a Rescue class starting on June 23rd, and a Master Diver class starting the following week with 2 of the students doing just that.
If you're serious about getting started and you're near the Richmond area, get in touch with me. The next Master Diver class isn't until the fall at the earliest. I'm also starting a Divemaster class tonight and we'll probably start the next one in the spring.

Hi boulderjohn,

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. I'm considering an unaffiliated DM route, rather than finding work at a dive shop. If anything, being a DM would be a very part-time side gig. I'd like to work with friends, family, friends of family, maybe some volunteer opportunities for at-risk teens or disabled folks. I did most of my diving with one shop in the Caribbean where DMs/dive guides were required by law. They were fantastic. That is the model I have in mind. I'm not in a hurry, either, as I stated.

From what I'm gathering from the posts so far is finding a NAUI DM course instructor is going to be a challenge.

I did most of my diving with one shop in the Caribbean where DMs/dive guides were required by law.
Cozumel?

Remember my advice on the idea that a DM leading dives for an operator in a resort area will need to be able to do multiple jobs, usually including instructing. If you are going to instruct for a shop, you need to be able to instruct for the agency with which the shop is affiliated. Some shops will do multiple agencies, including NAUI. Others will work exclusively with one agency.

As for being an unaffiliated, free-lance DM, ask yourself a question. If you were a dive operation owner, would you entrust the management of your customers and their lives to a regular employee you know and trust, or would you use someone with whom you do not have a solid working relationship? I ask because of an unsatisfactory experience I had in Cozumel. I was using a large operation with a number of boats. One day, the DM we had was simply horrible, and I had two really bad dives. (On the second, he led the supposed drift dive INTO the current until he was shamed into turning us around when he ran into another group going the other way, after which we drifted over sand for the rest of the dive.) When I complained, the dive operation owner explained that they had some sickness in their normal DM staff, and they had had to dip into the pool of unaffiliated, independent DMs on the island for that one. Everyone on the boat got an apology, a refund, and an assurance they would never use that DM again.

I'm considering an unaffiliated DM route, rather than finding work at a dive shop. If anything, being a DM would be a very part-time side gig. I'd like to work with friends, family, friends of family, maybe some volunteer opportunities for at-risk teens or disabled folks.

For most everyone who doesn't live near a resort or a beach, being involved is a part-time side gig. No offense intended, but I'm not sure you have the correct understanding of what being a DM is. Becoming a DM is the first step in being a professional in the dive industry, meaning you can be sued for your action or inaction even when you think you're off duty. Therefore, you must learn the does and don'ts and the proper professional skills necessary. A good DM program creates DM's who can work all over the world, and we do have them working all over the world. So this does take a lot of hard work, dedication, carrying tanks, carrying gear, helping students (including the ones that don't appreciate it), and lots of swimming and scuba skills. My advice would be to take the Master Diver class and learn more as education is always a good thing, but give careful thought towards the commitment needed for becoming a DM.

Good luck with your search!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom