NAUI and Dir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well then, IANTD is still in the same group as the others, IMO. Someone told me they had done away with it. All I saw on their website was the deep diver course to 130', so I assumed they had. It's a shame.

Thanks for setting record straight.

Mike

But a clarification from IANTD's website -

Deep Diver
This program has been developed to provide responsible training to divers who plan to dive to 130 fsw (39 msw) on air. The IANTD Deep Air Diver program trains divers in skills, performance, theory and planning of deep dives. This program remains within the commonly practiced depth of 130 fsw (39 msw). It is the first sanctioned program to provide proper international training in safe deep diving skills and performance. It is recommended that this program be taught in conjunction with the IANTD EANx Diver program.
IANTD's Deep Diver (not "Deep Air" like I thought) course is only to 130', I thought it was deeper. It's still a prerequisite to their Advanced EANx course. This is not the Technical Diver course MikeFerrara was referring to, so it sounds like they still offer deeper courses on air anyway.

With all the information we now know, deep air should be put to bed. He is our friend

Eric

A very stimualting discussion guys. Alot of intellectual ideas here. Too bad some people offer "Deep Air" to 240' right here in good old USA. How they operate is beyond comprehension.

You know, it's one thing to have divers go deep on air, but to have legitimate agencies tell students it's safe to do so with "proper training" is entirely different. That's just plain wrong, and they know it. That's my biggest complaint. I simply cannot respect any agency that would do this.

I don't have a particular problem with people taking the risk of deep air diving. It's the false sense of security the agencies are giving students that disturbs me. Deaths and injuries resulting from such foolishness do give the sport a bad appearance though, which also disturbs me a bit. Darwinism and Murphy will take care of those who dive deep on air. They don't need any help from the diving industry.

Mike

You are on the right on the money Lost Yooper. perhaps you can rest assured that your point of view is accepted by those educated in safe divers. The agencies that advocate many wrong diving principles will have a bad reputation and will pay the price. The good agencies may have a problem here and there that will probably resolve in time when the intellectuals in the organization recognize their ignorance. For example I believe NAUI does not allow children (Not teenagers) to dive. A wise decision on their part. Correct on principle and that is why they are great. Perhaps their deep air philosophy will change in time.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom