Natural Springs Resort, who's been there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boats

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello my fellow Wrecking Crew Diver peeps! :D

I stumbled across this web site, and I've never heard of the location! Which, is not surprising being that I've never really looked for places to dive in southern Ohio. Can anyone give me some feedback regarding this place? What do you think? How was the dive? The location?

For those of you who may find this place a "new spot", here's a blurb from their website:

Scuba dive in one of the best, western Ohio, eastern Indiana spring fed lakes. Natural Springs Resort scuba diving provides some of the clearest water experience in this area with lots of underwater excitement and a perfect environment for scuba training. With jumbo Bass, Catfish Bluegill and Grass Carp over 4 feet long, we have lots of natural wildlife to enjoy. Additionally, we provide a man made environment of sunken boats, auto, bikes, and even a computer desk complete with computer! One of the things that will entice you is our unique "freshwater jellyfish", that while only about the size of a dime, maintain all the beauty of their full size saltwater cousins! (no, they won't hurt you, there too small).

Admission to the lake includes a free tank of air. While they are hard to find let alone capture pictures of, the elusive paddlefish is one of natures most timid fish. They will run away at minimal water movement and few people are ever fortunate to see them. Scuba diving is one of the really fun recreational activities that can be learned and enjoyed for a lifetime. Young or old, scuba diving is easy, fun, and a way to enjoy a world few people get to see up close and personal. Lessons can be arranged through the resort and scheduled at your convenience. Little time is required to learn and you need not be a great swimmer.

Here's the URL: Natural Springs Resort

Thanks for any information provided! :wink:

We use it occasionally. Very nice topside amenities for non-divers. The diving is so-so at best. It's shallow and the viz is usually very marginal.

Natural Springs has the advantage of being pretty close to home for me - an hour closer than Gilboa. I've been there a number of times, but do not go very often, because the diving is not that great. I believe it is about 12 acres, so not too bad area wise, but most is about 18 to 20 feet deep. There is one trench that gets to about 30 feet.

I'd rather go to Gilboa or White Star. Altho, once I did go to Natural Springs after work one day. Can't do that with the others.

Ken

Hello my fellow Wrecking Crew Diver peeps! :D

I stumbled across this web site, and I've never heard of the location! Which, is not surprising being that I've never really looked for places to dive in southern Ohio. Can anyone give me some feedback regarding this place? What do you think? How was the dive? The location?

For those of you who may find this place a "new spot", here's a blurb from their website:

Scuba dive in one of the best, western Ohio, eastern Indiana spring fed lakes. Natural Springs Resort scuba diving provides some of the clearest water experience in this area with lots of underwater excitement and a perfect environment for scuba training. With jumbo Bass, Catfish Bluegill and Grass Carp over 4 feet long, we have lots of natural wildlife to enjoy. Additionally, we provide a man made environment of sunken boats, auto, bikes, and even a computer desk complete with computer! One of the things that will entice you is our unique "freshwater jellyfish", that while only about the size of a dime, maintain all the beauty of their full size saltwater cousins! (no, they won't hurt you, there too small).

Admission to the lake includes a free tank of air. While they are hard to find let alone capture pictures of, the elusive paddlefish is one of natures most timid fish. They will run away at minimal water movement and few people are ever fortunate to see them. Scuba diving is one of the really fun recreational activities that can be learned and enjoyed for a lifetime. Young or old, scuba diving is easy, fun, and a way to enjoy a world few people get to see up close and personal. Lessons can be arranged through the resort and scheduled at your convenience. Little time is required to learn and you need not be a great swimmer.

Here's the URL: Natural Springs Resort

Thanks for any information provided! :wink:

nice place, as Jim said nice amenities topside; I have seen 30' viz and 5' viz though - I personally like it because I can fish too

we go to France Park in Logansport for OW training, even though it's a half hour further drive each way; but viz is better, and less bureaucracy

The diving is not bad for a small quarry. Entry is the best I've seen - concrete steps into the water and a concrete/block wall to stage gear onto - you can back up to the wall and gear-up in the water. The trench mentioned earlier is mainly on the far wall from the entry point and offers a wall dive and a heavy-duty (15 degrees+) thermocline at around 20 ft. There are days you can see the thing shimmer and stick you finger through it. Suggest going mid-week during the summer as the students and resort swimmers tend to muck it up very quickly on weekends. Several old cars, boats, etc. Some in the trench. Note: DO NOT walk-in on the boat-ramp like some of used to do before the stairs were installed. It is extremely slick and not safe to walk on - especially if wearing gear.

Back
Top Bottom