Question Nathaniel P. Reed Hobe Sound National Wildlife Refuge Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, no shore diving allowed in Miami-Dade Co for example
Since when? I was just talking to a diver a couple days ago who was showing me sites he beach dives in Miami. I dived off Miami Beach several years ago. Found the reason people from Miami go to Broward.. all I saw was garbage..

Since when? I was just talking to a diver a couple days ago who was showing me sites he beach dives in Miami. I dived off Miami Beach several years ago. Found the reason people from Miami go to Broward.. all I saw was garbage..

I could be wrong, can't find it written online. I've been told for years that it isn't allowed because of boaters, maybe it's just an old wives tale.

The George's Valentine wreck is amazing. When I lived closer it was my favorite shore dive.

Diving at slack high tide always gave me the best conditions. Try for winds out of the West and waves less than a foot if you can. If you walk down the beach to just past the rocks and head straight out about 100 yds you should hit the main part of the hull (depending on the sand like @SubseaSports said). That being said it can be hard to find. If the conditions are right it is amazing. Be ready for a surf entry and exit though, and be sure to have a dive flag. I once had FWC literally park on top of mine to presumably check out what I was doing there.

For parking there is only a few spots at the house of refuge so it was always hit or miss if you could get one. Deep Six Dive Shop in Stuart isn't far away for fills (they are a great dive shop). They can also give you a map to several other good shore diving spots nearby if you are interested.

Like said above...
I found it reliable to navigate due East as I indicate from this image. If you are lucky, you can get a parking spot just behind the dune.
20230627_113459.jpg

For the most part, I always came accross a boiler then continue East for the rest. I have run a line from the largest piece looking for other parts with some success.
As far as conditions go, check the webcam on the link in my prior post (you can even control it). The camera is high enough that you can judge visibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom