Nassau Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to read your diving was a wash.

I was at SC , if I recall correctly, about the same time you were and had a fantastic time, great insta-buddies. Which were picked by me before we were under way. 2 had plenty of experience planned our dive and dove our plan. We discussed entering wrecks, max depth for the walls, hand signals, calling the dive, etc. on my last day my buddy, before we even left dock, said he hadn't been in the water for a few years but we took it slow and I adjusted the profile to reflect his comfort level. ( no big deal and I was happy to help and in return after we got back to SC he bought the beers ) Also better locations than I remember from my 9/05 trip to Nassau.

3/25 Phoecena ( Steel Forest and Mikes' Reef )
3/26 White Bungi ( David Tucker and Twin Sisters )
3/27 Turiops ( Razor Back and Southern Reef )

Each boat seemed to have competent divers on board with a majority of them having their own equipment although we did have a few doing check out dives. DM on the way only gave max time ( which was 45min for each dive, not to bad ) a description of the site and if we wanted could either stay with him or explore on our own.

Will post some pics as soon as i figure out how to reduce file size.

Mike

Hi All, My name is Dani, and It is the first time I write here.
I read the conversation with great interest.

I am going to dive with SC in 2 weeks from now. I took the "4 dives in one day" plan I only have one day for diving and I am comming from a long distance (Israel). I would like to carry as little equipment as I can, So please - If anybody could comment on: a) water temprature? (is there a need for a suit? b)quality of the gear for renting (in other words - can I do with only my Optical Mask, Diving Computer, booties and fins?

barchana:
Hi All, My name is Dani, and It is the first time I write here.
I read the conversation with great interest.

I am going to dive with SC in 2 weeks from now. I took the "4 dives in one day" plan I only have one day for diving and I am comming from a long distance (Israel). I would like to carry as little equipment as I can, So please - If anybody could comment on: a) water temprature? (is there a need for a suit? b)quality of the gear for renting (in other words - can I do with only my Optical Mask, Diving Computer, booties and fins?
The water temps when we were there (3/26 - 4/2) were about 72 - 73 degrees. If your doing 4 dives a day you'll want to use a full 3mm or 5mm.
I would recommend bring your computer because the DM will allow you to extend the dive profiles if you are diving a computer. The dive profiles are pretty conservative, 60 - 70 FSW for 30 - 35 minutes.
We had all our own gear so I can't really comment on the rental gear. There were people on the boat using retal gear and I don't remember seeing anyone with a gear problem.
Enjoy the diving....

I am NOT one to bash a dive op but I have to admit that I am not a big fan of SC. I would give them a 6.5 out of 10. Large groups of divers in the water mixed with very limited bottom times equal low scores IMHO. Tourist trap diving at its best. That last remark was somewhat of a compliment actually. SC is a well oiled machine. A big machine. If that appeals to you, as it may some, then you will be happy with them.

I refuse to pay big bucks to go on vacation to be limited to 30-35 minutes dives at 60fsw. Other than that issue, SC was fine. The shark dive was also very exciting.

scubadobadoo:
I am NOT one to bash a dive op but I have to admit that I am not a big fan of SC. I would give them a 6.5 out of 10. Large groups of divers in the water mixed with very limited bottom times equal low scores IMHO. Tourist trap diving at its best. That last remark was somewhat of a compliment actually. SC is a well oiled machine. A big machine. If that appeals to you, as it may some, then you will be happy with them.

I refuse to pay big bucks to go on vacation to be limited to 30-35 minutes dives at 60fsw. Other than that issue, SC was fine. The shark dive was also very exciting.
I have to agree, I don't believe I'll ever dive with SC again. Unless it's to do the Shark dive again, that dive was AWESOME :D

Wow, I'm surprised to hear this. When my wife and I were there (4/2 & 4/3) they limited the wall dives to 80 fsw if you weren't diving a computer and 100 fsw if you were. Sorry you guys weren't as lucky.

Dragon2115:
Wow, I'm surprised to hear this. When my wife and I were there (4/2 & 4/3) they limited the wall dives to 80 fsw if you weren't diving a computer and 100 fsw if you were. Sorry you guys weren't as lucky.
The intended profiles were as you describe, the unfortunate part was the inexperienced divers on our boat curtailed them severely. The DM's wouldn't let us dive our own profile on the walls, second shallow dive yes, the walls no...

I don't care about depth. It's bottom time I want!

if you are talking about stuarts cove in nassau....i loved it..they said"you got a watch?"...meet back in 45 mins...just my wife & I...no frikin' DM...we found the shark cage from jaws 3 & the downed dc3 from into the blue..it was good for me....try bahama divers....they don't even take you out of the harbor..

www.thegoodlifetv.com

Back
Top Bottom