Nassau Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Real-One

Registered
Reaction score
My 17 year old son and I will going to Nassau at the end of May. After reading about Nassau diving, I started looking into Walker's Cay only to find out the island is closed because of hurricane damage. OK. Back to Nassau. We just want a couple of days of good diving with a shark dive included. I read a recent thread about Dive Dive Dive that didn''t thrill me. So how about the other operators and places to stay?
I would love any feedback. Stuart Cove's, Nassau Scuba Center, etc...How about accomodations?

Thanks,

We dove with Nassau Scuba Centre this past December and found them to be a good op. We did a wall and shark dive with them and it was pretty cool to say the least. We liked the DM's and the staff at the shop, and found the boat to be very comfortable and not overcrowded. I'd recommend them.

Thanks for that info. Has anyone dived with Stuart Cove's? What's the comparison?

Both myself and my wife had our checkouts (different years) at Bahama Divers. I can't say enough good things about them. Also, when I was there the second time 4 years later many of the same DM's were still there. That says a lot about the shop to me.
I did the shark dive as well...absolutely loved it. Stuarts Cove seems to be a finely tuned machine. They give a good product, but prepared to spend more than you had anticipated with photo's, videos, and mouse pads of the shark dive. It's a very, very eerie feeling to jump off a boat being circled by sharks. They have no interest in you, just the food to soon come down.
They are both very differnt dives from eachother. The first is a very shallow but beautiful reef dive. Great to get your feet wet, etc. The second is 10 miles off shore but worth it IMHO.
Best of Luck.

I just dove with SC in Nov. I have not one complaint about them...great operating and I didn't find the boat's to be cattle boats. all the staff was excellent and very helpful..the shark dives are awesome a must if you go. We stayed at the Holiday Inn and they would come and pick us up in the am. and drop us off at the end of the dives. again i highly recommend them.

My wife and I dove with Stuart Coves a couple of years ago and had a great time. The shark dives are a must and the DPV wall flying is one of the coolest dives I've ever done because you get DPVs, sharks, James Bond wrecks and incredible wall dives all in one and they only take up to six people. Do not miss the opportunity to do this one or shark feeding or you will kick yourself later.

Thanks for the responses. It looks like Stuart Cove's for the professionalism and a little bit higher pricing. I guess you get what you pay for.

Has anyone dived the blue hole in Nassau? Did SC take you there?

I just dove with Stuart Cove's in January. I had no problem at all with their operation though the boat was totally packed.

The coral was in good shape where we dove though I didn't do a wall or shark dive.

I believe the Blue Hole is off of the island of Andros, the largest island in the Bahamas, which is just west of New Providence, the island on which Nassau is located. As SC and most of the operators are on the SW side of side of New Providence, they are on the part of the island closest to Andros and so some operators located there offer trips over to Andros. My understanding is that SC offers that trip as their out island seafari, an all day three tank charter that you have to book on island. I have heard the diving off of Andros is supposed to be outstanding, but we did not get the opportunity to make it while we were in Nassau.

The don't miss sites on New Providence include the "Tongue of the Ocean", a 5000 ft deep trench that runs between New Providence and Andros. It has the best coral and its pretty cool to look into the abyss. Also, try the Bond wrecks. These include several small props, sunken boats, planes and etc. as used in a number of James Bond movies. The Vulcan bomber from Thunderball is pretty cool, you can't even recognize it as it is just a frame covered with coral. Try doing this on a DPV and you can picture yourself right in the middle of the climactic battle in Thunderball. Pretty cool stuff.

Above all else, do the shark dives and be sure to get the video, as it will get plenty of play as you and your son relive the adventure. I just wish they had offered DVDs back when we did it as we have nearly worn out the tape.

There are on island coupons that SC puts in the tourist hand outs in the airport that can knock a few bucks off your tab. The bottom line is its pretty expensive to dive in Nassau, but you can get some unique adventure dives (sharks, DPVs) that nobody outside of the Bahamas offers (at least in this part of the world)

Blawlwer1,

I noticed you are from the Austin area. The instructor i had for my Advanced OW Cert. in Belize just relocated to Austin and is in the process of setting up shop. He was by far the best instructor I've ever had. Very patient, and gives you full explanations of everything. He is also one of the highest rated technical divers. If you are looking for a terrific dive master, he is the one. Let me know and I'll put you in touch.

Once again, thanks for the Nassau info. I'm psyched about the shark dive and the DPVs as well as spending some quality time with my son.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom