Narced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fast5frog

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
On our dive today, we hit about 95' and I know I was narced. I've been that deep before with no problems. I ascended a few feet and was all better. Is there anything you can do to prevent getting narced? Or do you just learn to deal with it? Also, will it happen at the same depth every time or can it vary? Thanks.

It varies from day to day from person to person (and the same person can have different reactions at the same depth on different days or getting narced can occur at different depths.)

There are different discussions on what can help or not - one thing is less Nitrogen in the mix, so Nitrox or other gas blends (But you need to be trained and be careful at what depths you dive to depending on the mix.)

Start by learning what it is. Then monitor your dive plan accordingly. You can be "narced" at any depth.
Diving Nitrox is not a solution for the "other issues".
Usually the problem occurs in repetitive diving with a poor dive plan.

Hello fast5frog:

Nitrogen narcosis is somewhat similar to drinking alcohol. The amount of alcohol required to produce a given effect can vary from day to day in an individual.

There is nothing currently known that can prevent the narcotic effect – or either nitrogen or alcohol. :11:

Dr Deco :doctor:

BubbleBlower07:
one thing is less Nitrogen in the mix, so Nitrox or other gas blends (But you need to be trained and be careful at what depths you dive to depending on the mix.)

This is very true, but at the same time once you exceed 100 ft. you are becoming close to experiencing O2 toxicity. So again you are right with the training, but diving to 95 ft is already getting close the limits of Nitrox.

prthd9:
This is very true, but at the same time once you exceed 100 ft. you are becoming close to experiencing O2 toxicity. So again you are right with the training, but diving to 95 ft is already getting close the limits of Nitrox.

Depends on the mix - I tend to dive conservative, so I do not push depths or times, but a 32% and using a 1.4PP is around 111 feet so there is a good margin there when compared to a dive of 95 feet, but as mentioned from all quarters - nothing replaces planning, training and being prepared.

Just to clear this up...I wasn't using Nitrox. Plain ol' air was in my tank. I only mention this because the way I am reading the replies a couple have mentioned Nitrox. :)

Dr Deco:
Hello fast5frog:

Nitrogen narcosis is somewhat similar to drinking alcohol. The amount of alcohol required to produce a given effect can vary from day to day in an individual.

There is nothing currently known that can prevent the narcotic effect – or either nitrogen or alcohol. :11:

Dr Deco :doctor:

Sure there is. Ascend until it goes away, and don't drink!

kari

fast5frog:
Just to clear this up...I wasn't using Nitrox. Plain ol' air was in my tank. I only mention this because the way I am reading the replies a couple have mentioned Nitrox.

What I was referring to was that you also mentioned possible means of preventing getting nitrogen narcosis - in a nutshell gasses can have various effects and the effects can change with depth. Nitrogen, as you discovered, has an effect at increased pressure. One possible way of decreasing the odds is having less nitrogen in the mix, but it can come with other issues such as oxygen toxicity.

But as has been pointed out above, since narcosis cannot be 100% pinned down due to how it varies from day to day and person to person, nothing is 100% certain.

Various theories and thoughts abound of things which can aggrevate narcosis, such as cold and fatigue.

Ascending was the proper move for you and being able to recognize that you are having the issue arise is important.

As an aside I would not say "learn to deal with it" [though recognizing it happened and ascending is proper, I mean more continuing diving while being narced]

Though sometimes it is fun to joke about getting narced and the martini effect, when you are diving you want to be clear headed. I have seen people get narced and they were not paying attention to their gauges and/or were miscoummincating - which led to some low air/ out of air situations. Thankfully nothing major came from it, other then making sure to head up and out and making mental notes for the future.

Take a look also at this thread for some other thoughts

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=34632

Physical condition, air management, are not jokes.
Diving is a somewhat dangerous sport that is meant to enjoy - not for thrill seeking, seeing how close to disater you can get.
The exhileration of a good safe dive for the planned purpose is what it should be all about. The look I see on people's faces when we surface after a good dive is great thing.
Dive planning , staying in your comfort level and experience should take care of most issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom