Name your favourite Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Selachimorpha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
What is your favourite shark?
Why do you like this shark?
Where have you dived with this shark, best place to see it?
Tell us your favourite shark moments!

anytime I see one (or more..) on a dive, I feel lucky; not picky

I like especially to see reefs, lemons and hammerheads; bulls scare me a little

Best places I've found to see sharks are certain sites off Jupiter FL and the Bahamas

That would have to be Mr Whitey though wouldn't like to meet one in person.

A magnificent and graceful killing machine - best seen on a big Plasma.

I'm one of those divers who always misses things, even if i was lying on the bottom doing nothing but looking up for 40 minutes. A big reef shark passed me buy once and so did a couple of nurse sharks, so i'm told.

Always got my head in the coral looking for the smaller guys :D

What is your favourite shark?
Why do you like this shark?
Where have you dived with this shark, best place to see it?
Tell us your favourite shark moments!

My favourite shark is the Bull shark. It's an apex hunter and can tolerate fresh water as well. The Bull shark represents strength, "danger" and adaptability to me.

I did many dives on the Protea Banks, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, and I have seen Bull sharks during almost every dive. In total I did 26 dives on the Protea Banks over a 5 year period.

It's difficult to name a favourite shark moment...they are all special, but during my last baited shark dive during March 2009, we had 6 Bull sharks circling us the whole time (40 minutes). That was awesome.:wink:

Favorite shark, Gray reef sharks - because they look like sharks but treat me like a friend (sharks are our friends)
Where - Bahamas, the suckers are everywhere.
Night dive on great barrier reef. Just me and one of the guides from Spoilsport. A big leapard shark swims right up to the face of the divemaster before turning and gliding up to the surface. Beautiful encounter but I enjoyed it more than the guide. He told me it scared him half to death even though they are not an aggressive or scary shark .

silky. they are the most incredibly beautiful sharks. i also have a soft spot for the white-tip reef.

See my member name for my favorite.......mainly encounter them in Puget sound, usually in mid to late summer. Most memorable was a night dive - 1:30am, 110FSW, and we had several show up & hang around for several minutes. Largest was around 13 feet.

Sharks are one of my favorite creatures. Small leopards are quite common off the coast here, and have seen pacific sleeper sharks a couple of times. Only seen one GW, probably 9 ft or so, and it fortunately didn't appear to be interested in us - never got closer than 20 feet or so.

Others I've been privileged to see are Caribbean reef & tiger sharks in the Bahamas; nurse sharks in Coz; scalloped hammerhead, tiger, and blacktip and whitetip reef sharks in Hawaii.

We're headed to Maui for the first time later this summer - anxious to see what we will find there.....

Bull Sharks. I've dived with them many times in Thailand and here in Subic Bay, Philippines. In my mind they are one of the 'Big 4' of large sharks (Great White, Tiger, Great Hammerhead and Bull)...they are curious enough to come close to divers, but not so brave as to be threatening. They just ooze a sense of power.

I am yet to see a Great White (that would have pucker factor!), Tiger (high on my to-do list) and Thresher..... hopefully a trip to dive Malapascua later this year should resolve my lack of threshers.!

I gotta go with Jupiter31 on this one - whenever we encounter these magnificient critters, it's a privilege. With the imminent desimation of the species for nothing more than tasteless soup for downright superstitious reasons, it's definitely a lucky event to see one in the open water.

What is your favourite shark? I enjoyed seeing a Horn Shark in La Jolla cove on a night dive last summer.

Why do you like this shark? It was just such a primitive looking animal. Neat! Unfortunately, because of the surge, kelp and the fact that my dive buddy missed him and kept swimming, I couldn't get a camera on it.

Where have you dived with this shark, best place to see it? California Pacific Coast. There's a preserve in La Jolla Cove, just north of San Diego.

Tell us your favourite shark moments! Probably my favorite shark moment is when a largish Sand Tiger swam overhead, and a tooth dropped off of him - I caught it while it was falling and still have it today as a momento of that dive. Below is a shot of that Sand Tiger (it's that bottom tooth hanging so precariously that fell of when he came by) - and below that is a close-up on a Nurse Shark's eye off of Mona Island west of Puerto Rico...I like this shot because it shows the skin nicely.

SANDTIGER.jpg

SHARKEYE.jpg

Regards,

-S

Last edited:
It has to be the Oceanic White Tip.

The Oceanic White Tip has an awesome imposing silhouette and while not the most swift-moving of sharks, it can approach with stealth and surprise.

I saw one on a Red Sea liveaboard several years ago (I believe it was at Daedalus). That was an absolutely marvelous day of diving as on the same day, I encountered a shoal of scalloped hammerheads!

My favourite shark moment: in Fiji, seeing a Manta and a large Bronze Whaler shark on the same dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom