Name that mask!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cosmographer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Posting about noobie gear got me thinking that I should find a good fitting mask for my wife. Although we only have a few dives, all but one of them (as well as countless snorkel trips previously) ended up with her having a leaking mask. We know the whole inhale-through-your-nose-and-hold-your-breath-to-see-if-it-sticks technique (is there a proper term for that, btw?), but it never seems to work. They all stick fine, but still end up leaking.

Until we came across this old mask. It's the only one she's ever used that did not have a leaking problem and she was ecstatic about it. For some reason, it seems to be a perfect fit for her face. This rented mask was so old that the label was worn off and the dive op didn't know for sure what brand/model it was, although he guessed that it might be an Aqualung mask. In any case, are there any SB members who are up to the challenge of identifying the make and model of this mask below? (probably impossible to be certain, but I thought I'd ask anyway - you never know).

mask 1.jpgmask 2.jpgmask 3.jpg

Lince Cat-Eye?

What's a Lince cat-eye? Can only find a Sea Dive Cat-Eye which is definitely not it. The Cressi seems similar, except the Focus frames each lens with 4 sides while the mystery masks had 5 sides. Any other takers?

It does look similar to a lot of the freediving masks. You mentioned double-seals. Perhaps that's what caused this mask to work and others to leak since I believe this mask in question has a double seal based on the pic.

Unfortunatly companies make so many copies of each others masks. By the look of it, it looks to me to be an old Dacor and thats also unfortunate becasue you wont be able to find a new one with them being bout by mares awhile ago. Its also similar to a scubapro fino which was discontinued a few years back but picked by tusa/tabata I belive. DOnt know the name they call it.

From the looks of the mask, it seems she may have a small and possibly narrow face.

My wife had that problem, and used an aqualung kids mask from walmart for a LONG time until it gave up the ghost and she tried the atomic subframe mask.

The atomic's skirt is of a very pliable material and conforms to her face very nicely. Maybe worth a try if a local shop will let her try it and have a good returns policy. Our shop told her that if she wasn't 100% satisfied, she could return it for a full refund.

Sorry cannot help re identifying the mask, but if your wife has a small face I would suggest she take a look at Atomics Frameless as it also comes in medium. I have a smaller face and had no end of problems with numerous masks (good in the shop not so good in the water) until I tried the Atomic, fits so well I bought 2. Good luck.

It is an Aqualung "Look" mask and it is one of my favorites. I have a couple new still in the box from when I owned a dive shop.

Back
Top Bottom