Naked SPG and boltsnap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vixtor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

This is my first post here - I thought about posting here or in the "Instruments" folder, but I decided in the end that you should have the best experience on this topic.

I have switched today my hose set to miflex (a nice 210cm(LP)/60cm(LP)/45cm(inflator for the DSS wing)/60cm(HP) ). With this occasion I have removed all hose protectors and the SPG boot, and encountered a problem. Initially, my SPG (a Scubapro) had a rubber boot which allowed me to tie the bolt snap to it's free end (prolonging the SPG itself with the bolt snap). Now, without the boot, I had to tie the bolt snap at the base of the SPG (where it connects to the hose), which basically means the bolt snap is perpendicular on the SPG hose. When it was mounted at the free end (tied to the boot), I was holding the SPG and the bolt snap in my hand as if the snap prolonged the SPG itself - very easy to clip/unclip in the water. Now, the bolt snap and the SPG forms a T, which makes the bolt snap harder to grab.

I am thinking about the following options:
a) tie the SPG with a softer/longer "something" - like a few centimeters of line (but this is an entanglement hazard)
b) using a bigger bolt snap, that would fit in my whole hand (now, as it is smaller, I have to grab it while modeling my hand around the SPG, which is perpendicular on it)
c) reinstalling the boot - this would put the bolt snap in a more confortable place to hold.

I'm not sure if I made myself clear enough or not (I hope I did). How do you put the bolt snap on a naked SPG usually? My today's solution with the bolt snap at the hose end surely looked uglier/less efficient than the method allowed by the Scubapro boot (but then again, you usually advice against boots).

No need to make the changes you described. The only area of concern is that you tied to bolt snap to "the base of the SPG". Attaching too close to the SPG may make it a little awkward and possibly not promote streamlined SPG placement.

I have attached a picture of my set-up, using cold water gloves, and a 3/4" size bolt snap.

In order to facilitate clipping, I use my pointer finger as a guide while holding the gate open with my thumb.

spg_boltsnap_dir.jpg

Hi,

This is my first post here - I thought about posting here or in the "Instruments" folder, but I decided in the end that you should have the best experience on this topic.

I have switched today my hose set to miflex (a nice 210cm(LP)/60cm(LP)/45cm(inflator for the DSS wing)/60cm(HP) ). With this occasion I have removed all hose protectors and the SPG boot, and encountered a problem. Initially, my SPG (a Scubapro) had a rubber boot which allowed me to tie the bolt snap to it's free end (prolonging the SPG itself with the bolt snap). Now, without the boot, I had to tie the bolt snap at the base of the SPG (where it connects to the hose), which basically means the bolt snap is perpendicular on the SPG hose. When it was mounted at the free end (tied to the boot), I was holding the SPG and the bolt snap in my hand as if the snap prolonged the SPG itself - very easy to clip/unclip in the water. Now, the bolt snap and the SPG forms a T, which makes the bolt snap harder to grab.

I am thinking about the following options:
a) tie the SPG with a softer/longer "something" - like a few centimeters of line (but this is an entanglement hazard)
b) using a bigger bolt snap, that would fit in my whole hand (now, as it is smaller, I have to grab it while modeling my hand around the SPG, which is perpendicular on it)
c) reinstalling the boot - this would put the bolt snap in a more confortable place to hold.

I'm not sure if I made myself clear enough or not (I hope I did). How do you put the bolt snap on a naked SPG usually? My today's solution with the bolt snap at the hose end surely looked uglier/less efficient than the method allowed by the Scubapro boot (but then again, you usually advice against boots).

I think in your case that I would simply put the boot back on the SPG and use it like you did before which would remove the 90 degree attachment point.
:wink:

I think in your case that I would simply put the boot back on the SPG and use it like you did before which would remove the 90 degree attachment point.
Wrong forum for such advice :D

@vixtor: None of modifications a, b or c is needed. Depending on SPG hose length maybe you can do what ae3753 suggests. Personaly, I would leave it tied to SPG base. However, the key for success is magical word: practice.

Wrong forum for such advice :D

@vixtor: None of modifications a, b or c is needed. Depending on SPG hose length maybe you can do what ae3753 suggests. Personaly, I would leave it tied to SPG base. However, the key for success is magical word: practice.

:rofl3:
You're right. I was thinking that the OP wasn't really picky on "where" he posted (first post and all) and had considered this option himself, so "let it be" was my answer. But, as you stated, DIR is not about individual choices! (That wasn't meant to sound critical.) You're correct.

The members of the jury will disregard that post.
:D

Thinking and trying a little bit more, now I think that the right answer is to use another bolt snap (larger, because mine is too small) and - most important - to identify one of very high quality. The current one, no matter how much silicone grease I put in it, it gets stuck in the closed position (the central pin has some space arround it, and because of this, when I push it it doesn't slide back straight, but rather in a slightly oblique position - rubbing itself to the walls and being very hard to push).

Sticky bolt snaps definitely make life more difficult!

I do what ae3753 does, with the addition that I hook my ring finger into the round eye at the rear of the boltsnap, and that gives me a stable point from which to open the gate.

Here's a picture of using your ring finger through the 3/4" eye of the bolt snap, per TSandM.

spg_boltsnap_dir_2.jpg

Focus is off... I'll retake the picture later.

The members of the jury will disregard that post.
:D

FIRING SQUAD!....Dismissed!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom