n00b ?: Backup Lights: Scout vs. Pelican Recoil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobbieTheHun:
Dont mean to picky Dude, but the body of the scout is made of Delrin.
Whoops, my bad, for some reason I was thinking it was machined aluminum. Probably because it looks a lot like a modified mag lite of some sort. :)

The MSRP pricing is somewhat close on the Recoil vs. the Scout, but the Pelican can frequently be found at a considerable discount, since it is so widely carried, while the Scout, as a specialty item, is rarely discounted to any significant degree.

I think I understand now why the Scout is preferred (mostly shape issues with the body and attachment points), but I suspect there is some advantage to be gained from going LED. And probably some downsides, too. But it looks like both are quite usable in a legitimate DIR configuration, so that means I still have a decision to make.

I don't suppose Halcyon will be coming out with an LED version of the Scout anytime soon, eh? That would be a slam dunk winner in my book!

CompuDude:
..I don't suppose Halcyon will be coming out with an LED version of the Scout anytime soon, eh? That would be a slam dunk winner in my book!

They already have it:
http://www.halcyon.net/lights/scout.shtml

"Both the Scout and Mini-Scout are available with either a standard Xenon bulb or the Halcyon LED bulb assembly. "

I have a Scout LED and a GreenForce Diamond Plus backup. I like them both very much. One goes on the left, one on the right. They both cost many samolians.

I recently bought the upgrade for both my scout and mini scout and if memory serves I paid roughly $120. for each of the upgrades. No doubt about it you will certainly see a far tighter and whiter beam but I would imagine you would get more bang for your buck with another brand. Halcyon is pricey.

RTH

Another vote here for the Photon-Torpedo...very impressive light and anxiously awaiting shipment of the LED upgrade.

RobbieTheHun:
I recently bought the upgrade for both my scout and mini scout and if memory serves I paid roughly $120. for each of the upgrades. No doubt about it you will certainly see a far tighter and whiter beam but I would imagine you would get more bang for your buck with another brand. Halcyon is pricey.
Youch! I was already annoyed at the $80 or so for the basic Scout, you mean just to upgrade it's $120 more?

They're going to lose a ton of business to the Photon for that kind of money... makes the $140 for the LED photon (the whole thing, not just the upgrade!) look cheap by comparison!

Yes, I've found lots of prices online (and at my LDS) for the Scout, but haven't seen any concrete pricing on the LED scout. (Is it available separately from the "upgrade"?)

If you buy the lights new with the LED upgrade then the scout is $199. and the mini scout is $189. I looked again through my receipts and I paid $129. for the upgrade, I still cant believe I did that.

RTH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom