N.E. Dive Sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcohn:
The best shore dives in New England by far are in Eastport Maine. But considering the long drive, Cape Ann will have to do most of the time.

Ralph

Eastport is by far the best shore diving in New England but is indeed quite a hike to get to. Of course owning a summer home up there helps. :D

Cape Ann is second best for shore diving but certainly still very good. My favorite site there is Folly Cove where I've probably done close to 200 or so dives and still find new things.

DSDO

Alan

ScubaFrog:
I did dive in Rockport MA and really did not enjoy it due to the terrible visibility. Can anyone tell me some good N.E. dive sites?

You're pretty much farked if you are going to continue to compare southern diving to northern diving. You need to really view the two as apples and oranges - two distinct kinds of diving, each with their own drawbacks and benefits.

One thing I will say - and I'd imagaine that many hardcore divers up here will back me up on - is that this past year or so has been by far the worst overall vis we've had up here in years. Sure, there are some unusual days, but for the most part I thought that it was pretty substandard.

If New England diving becomes your main outlet, you're gonna find that you'll eventually get used to 15-20' of vis and then you'll be stoked when it's more. I've had days where I dove on a wreck up here and swore I was in the Carolinas, and then I've had dives where I left the water in disgust because I couldn't see my guages 6 inches from my face. The more you dive up here, the more your tolerance for lower vis. Where you may have previously hemmed and hawed because you couldn't see "the whole wreck at once," you'll head to lunch with your buddies going on and on about how lucky a day you had to have 50' of visibility. For me, it makes me appreciate Caribbean conditions that much more and also not get my panties in a wad if there's strong current or lower vis circumstances while I'm there.

But all that said, my top 5 Massachusetts sites for vis have typically been, in no particular order:

1) Cathedral Rock
2) Paddock Rock
3) Norman's Woe
4) Magnolia Rock
5) Halfway Rock

Pickett's Ledge has also been cool. You'll find that offshore sites have higher vis on average, and also any site with a rocky bottom.

Anyone know of any good dive sites in the Bar Harbor area? Anyone dive any of the lakes around the Ellsworth/Blackwoods area?

PeaceDog:
One thing I will say - and I'd imagaine that many hardcore divers up here will back me up on - is that this past year or so has been by far the worst overall vis we've had up here in years. Sure, there are some unusual days, but for the most part I thought that it was pretty substandard.

I agree...

rbmaine:
Anyone know of any good dive sites in the Bar Harbor area? Anyone dive any of the lakes around the Ellsworth/Blackwoods area?

I got my advanced open water cert off Bass Harbor, but I'm afraid there wasn't much to see at the site we dove. I wouldn't let that speak for the whole area though... there's GOT to be good diving around there.

Would anybody be willing to provide directions to Cathedral? I hear its one of the best sites around and have not dove there yet.

Also, I know its probably been discussed to death but, who has dove the Nubble in Maine and, what advice could you offer me as a newbie(less than 20 dives) on the site. I knwo that sunday dives are out. I have 2 kids that love the water as much as I do and my wife got cert'd with me. Is there a good hotel nearby that I can make it a weekend trip?

Thanks in advance....

can be found on the Cape Ann Divers site http://www.capeanndivers.com/ but I would NEVER dive there without someone who has done it before. It can be challenging and I don't consider it a "newbie" dive but....

Never done Nubble so can't help with that.

Hi,

Nubble Light is a great place, even for new divers. It's an easy entry, as long as you're careful. High tide is easiest so that you don't have to worry about walking over slippery wet rocks. It's beautiful underwater and above water. Also, it's in York, ME which is a popular tourist town so there are lots of places to stay. Check out the web for hotels. You should easily find something.

mikswi:
Would anybody be willing to provide directions to Cathedral? I hear its one of the best sites around and have not dove there yet.

Also, I know its probably been discussed to death but, who has dove the Nubble in Maine and, what advice could you offer me as a newbie(less than 20 dives) on the site. I knwo that sunday dives are out. I have 2 kids that love the water as much as I do and my wife got cert'd with me. Is there a good hotel nearby that I can make it a weekend trip?

Thanks in advance....

"Cat" is the best shore dive in Mass. if you ask me. It's the best bang for your buck in terms of topography and depth. The canyon entry to the water is the same topography as you will see underwater.

For the first time out, plan to do Cat at high tide with someone who has done it before. The hike down is VERY tricky with lot's of injuries happening from falls. You will need to be VERY sure footed to get in and out without a fall. There are some good paths to follow down and the entry/exit is quite tricky. At low tide with some waves you can sometimes see divers on their backs in the "mixing bowl".

Awesome site - but definitely go with someone who has done it before. You can perhaps coordinate with someone from this board. I dive Cat in the winter when my boat is in storage. I don't dive there with ice or snow on the ledge though.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom