Mystery sting - you can't be too careful!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was no biopsy. In fact, I was constantly surprised that both in the Philippines and here in the states that among the four doctors that I went to none of them ACTUALLY LOOKED AT IT! I mean, they did kind of glance casually down at my leg from where they sat at their desk, but none touched it or had me get on an examination table or bent down to get a good close look at it! All the debriding was done by me on their advice.

The wounds do (did) look similar to a brown recluse bite on the inside, come to think of it, except for their shape. There were about three irregular deep areas about the size of a quarter, each of which had little tendrils radiating out from them another inch or so on each side. THey looked like paint splatters. When we ripped the dead tissue out (which took considerable force), which we did repeatedly for about three weeks, the center would be perhaps two mm deep and reveal fresh pink flesh - the tendrils were shallower. Again, no pain. There were also about six or so round areas about a cm in diameter that looked simiar, also about 2mm deep, that we debrided as well. These, however, bled profusely. In fact, for about a month afterward the entire area, as I said, felt hard as a rock with a thin layer of skin over it. The slightest bump at that point would cause a tiny break in the skin that would bleed like crazy for a minute or so. I never experienced a hard black "plug" of necrotic tissue. The tissue we removed was always soft and spongy although tough and leathery, and transitioning from yellow to black.

So I regret - no pictures, no biopsy to show.... I had really posted this as a warning to others but am really enjoying the interested advice and medical sleuthing endeavor that it has turned into.

OK, I would treat it with vinegar, although it appears that that may not have helped from the latest ScubaBoard diagnosis...

But I would certainly have taken some pictures and posted them on this site and gone here for medical advice as well! Thanks you guys and keep the diagnoses coming as long as it interests you. This is fun and fascinating for me.

Today what's left is a large spattering of irregular light purple scars on a slightly swollen ankle.

My warning to future divers and others is to demand a skin biopsy of any "brown recluse" type of wound. Many folks have lost alot of leg tissue before someone make a dianosis of pyoderma gangrenosu, and many well meaning surgeons have gotten lawsuit for debriding these necrotic wound. This condition is seen especially in people with ulcerative colitis or chron's disease.

Guys from out here this sounds like something from "Aliens" Fascinating, but scary as H--- too!!!

A tip I take from when I'm fishing. I keep either a bottle of rubbing alcohol or a mild bleach solution in my tackle box. Any time a get stuck with a hook or a fishspine a rinse the would with solution no matter how small. This may not have helped at all for your situation, but it deffinately couldn't hurt to keep these items in a dive bag.

Back
Top Bottom