Mystery Reef Off North Yucatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AKmountaineer

Contributor
Reaction score
As I was flying home to CA from Cancun a couple days ago I noticed a large reef rising out of the open ocean, with deep water all around. There were four small islands with sandy beaches and not a whole lot else. I would guess that the whole thing was about perhaps 2 square miles or so. I don't know how far it was off shore because I couldn't see out the other side of the plane, but it appeared to be a long way. I estimate that this site was around 150 miles or so Northwest of Cancun. Does anybody have any ideas what this place is called?

Thanks.

There are some small islands due North of Merida, MX You didn't say just how long you were enroute from CUN, but it sounds like the right place, but it's hard to say. I know there is an old galleon sunk there near shore from what a friend of mine said he saw. It is on my list of dive to do.

I'm quite familiar with the atoll you were seeing.
Somewhere, I've even got the Lat/Long coordinates for it.
I was told it's called "Scorpion Key", but I can't vouch for the reliability of my source :)

In any case, I used to fly over it several times a week, I've seen sailboats and fishing boats anchored there (maybe dive-boats), but very rarely. ... 120-150 miles sounds about right, I'll see what i can find.

http://homepage.mac.com/brittingham/iMovieTheater47.html
That's about a 1 MB file.

I found some footage ... does it look familiar?? ... If you watch it to the end, you'll get the co-ordinates.

I didn't do any editing, just took a clip and rendered it down to a manageable size, so don't complain about the quality... I'm not going to be showing it at Sundance ! :)

Oohhh, I would love to see that footage. But nothing came up. My guess is it's me - not you, however.

IslandHopper:
I'm quite familiar with the atoll you were seeing.
Somewhere, I've even got the Lat/Long coordinates for it.
I was told it's called "Scorpion Key", but I can't vouch for the reliability of my source :)

Yep, that's probably Arrecife Alacran, sounds to be in the right spot & right description. (do a google, you'll be able to find maps, pics & charts)
There used to be one of the liveaboard ops that would run out there, I have their card around someplace.
It had been closed off for quite a while because of dynamite fishing.
There's a manned lighthouse/station there. You may be able to charter a boat out of Progreso, which is straight to the south.
(I used to spend Januarys in Progreso, got to know the local fishermen pretty good)

No mystery, I was out there 20+ years ago on a rickety old fishing boat. It had the same name back then too! :wink:
I wonder when the cruise ship dock is going in. :11:
Heck, I haven't been back to Progreso since that one was put in...

IslandHopper:
http://homepage.mac.com/brittingham/iMovieTheater47.html
That's about a 1 MB file.

I found some footage ... does it look familiar?? ... If you watch it to the end, you'll get the co-ordinates.

I didn't do any editing, just took a clip and rendered it down to a manageable size, so don't complain about the quality... I'm not going to be showing it at Sundance ! :)

Nice! I was gonna post to say that it's nice to see another Mac user out there but as I did my computer crashed!

Still better than Windows though!

I can't even imagine how pristine those reefs would be...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom