Suggestion Mysteries Revealed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Sirelroka

Sirelroka

Contributor
Reaction score
My suggestion is based on the confusion I often have when reading posts. I am a new diver and often get lost when reading all the acronym laced posts. I suggest that you make a sticky thread somewhere (maybe basic scuba discussions) that has a list of acronyms or perhaps a link to the article from 2004. However, if people like the link idea that list needs some additions. I think acronyms like LED and HID should be added and ones like MOF should also be included, I also think a brief meaning is helpful. Some of these make it more specific to this board (rather than SCUBA in general), but the ones who would be looking at it would most likely be looking at this board anyway? Personally my recomendation would be to make a thread with a list of the acronym, their words, and their meaning (and if you wanted to get really fancy a link to the appropriate webpage or wikipedia entry). For instance these are a couple from the list I started for myself:

MOF – Mask On Forehead; used in the debate as to whether placing your mask on your forehead indicates distress.

and

SMB – Surface Marker Buoy; an inflatable buoy used by SCUBA divers to mark their position

Thanks for the link, it's going in the favorites. There are a couple of other good ones, but I kinda wanted one right here for the convience of it. Plus adding some that are not on most of them (MOF, LED, HID, etc.).

This request might be more of a task than board support can handle. This should give you answers to most acronym questions: http://www.acronymfinder.com/

I believe MOF is Mask On Forehead. It refers to a thread on that subject that has been allowed to just go wild.

awap - I realize this, which is why in my original post I included as less labor intesive option of creating a sticky with a link to such a list in it. Thus making it a fairly small (1 minute) project).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom