My Venture into Delaware – Hi, Lowviz!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jax

Deplorable American
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My work sent me out to Maryland, and since I had a weekend, I cruised the boards to see who was in the area. I contacted Lowviz and found he was in Delaware, a state I had not visited, so asked him if he wanted to do lunch. Lowviz happily said yes and we were to meet at noonish.

As an avid traveler, I am used to driving two-three hours to go somewhere interesting. I looked up our meeting point on the map . . . one hour for 48 miles?!?!!? Goodness, I can drive 48 miles and not leave my county! ROFL!

The morning was gray and steady slight rain, but the forecast promised clearing by afternoon. At 8am on a Saturday, there wasn’t a lot of traffic, so it was easy to make good time even with the tolls. You easterners do a lot of the toll thing, huh? Towards Wilmington, I was given the opportunity to do my first traditional U-turn when the frothy mist churned up by the big trucks blurred the signs enough that I missed that IH95 continued on the left and I ended up on 495 . . . You easterners do a lot of that left-exit thing, huh? *hee* (Please understand that U-turns are a favored part of my travel plan, because in missing my turns, I end up places and seeing things I would have otherwise missed.) Of course I had GPS . . . what, me without a gadget? Oh, heck no.

I tooled around the outskirts of Wilmington, just absorbing the architecture and layout. The houses are usually two story, sided, bricked, or stone-front, with narrow fronts and very deep. I was saddened to see empty storefronts as a sign of the economic times, but happy that many of the houses were well maintained by their conversion into small businesses. I was rather happy to note that, unlike Arizona who names dry river beds, every bridge actually went over water.

The GPS revealed a park in the area, always a fun visit for me, so I entered the Bellevue State Park. Here again, this was a really interesting contrast to the State Parks of the West, which cover square miles and have an occasional toilet and picnic table. The Bellevue, at a hundred acres or so, has a few miles of hiking / running trails and a full stables / rings / paddocks. If you are taking lessons, you can ride there; or you may board your own. Everything is well-manicured and well-equipped, a park of which to be rightfully proud. Very cool, Delaware! :thumb:

Lowviz and I met up at noon, an engaging gentleman with a science background, which meant we immediately clicked on everything - especially science and engineering. He offered something he was sure would tickle my interest – a tour of the DuPont family gunpower mills, now the Hagley Museum (Hagley Museum and Library: Exhibits, but the web site doesn’t do it justice.) This millworks is a tribute to 1800’s technology that used the power of water to drive an extensive set of rods, gears, and power takeoffs to run everything from two 48T milling operations to a very sophisticated machine shop that can duplicate anything we do today. The enormous capability that was available in the 1800’s was thrilling!

I admit, it hurt a little to shift out the cobwebs as the theory of potential energy of a 3’column of water dropping 14’ under gravity began to crawl out of the recesses of my brain. :laughing: The whole day (between tour stop-ins) was spent cussing and discussing the ins-and-outs of diving, the dive world, dive attitudes, to-DIR-or-not-to-DIR, and how blanking hard some of the simplest tasks could be! It was fabulous! :dance3: [BTW, we solved all the problems of the diving world, so you can close the Pub, now! :rofl3:]

I have some video, but don't know how to reference it from FB. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: D_B
The shining star of the day was a trip out to Dudas Dive Shop (Dudas Diving - Facebook and Dudas Diving Website), home to Evelyn (Evie) Dudas, a true pioneer of the diving sport and the first lady diver on the Andrea Doria. We were blessed with a tour around the shop, proudly displaying the tributes to the wrecks conquered. The family-run shop had collected many things from the years since the mid-sixties, and holding some of those – like the ScubaPro “Bendomatic” decompression . . . erm, estimator? . . . really brought home how very, very hardy our pioneers were.
417351_408533399162121_100000163925455_1842055_376845207_a.jpg
ScubaPro "Bendomatic"

Evelyn Bartram and her to-be-husband Jon Dudas dived the Andrea Doria in June, 1967. The link below gives a well-written story of that dive.

Evie Dudas (Deep diving: an advanced guide to physiology, procedures and systems - Bret Gilliam, Robert Von Maier - Google Books - Evie Dudas)

Evie had a few minutes, and gave me the opportunity to ask some of the questions about diving practices in that era. No BC, no deco theory, no pressure gauge, not even a J-valve . . . you just learned your SAC and computed the RMV at depth, and watched your watch. Any bit of excitement that raised your breathing rate, or exertion like wresting the compass from the mounts on the Andrea Doria, and you were playing with your life. Back then, you just ascended the line, and hung out at 10 feet, until, oh, that feels like enough. Just wow. BTW, no P-valves back then. Everyone wore diapers. :yuck: And drysuits? Erm, commercial divers only. 3/8” butyl rubber things. Ugh.

417053_408532782495516_100000163925455_1842052_523210500_n.jpg
423832_408532709162190_100000163925455_1842051_1824377765_n.jpg

The compass and compass cover from the Andrea Doria, retrieved June 1967.
430067_408532849162176_8627245_n.jpg

The whole day was an enormously rewarding experience, and once again, the SBer rocked it! Lowviz knew there were some souvenir photo cards of Evie and Jon with their proud find, and he asked Evie to autograph a couple for me!!! I was so touched by his gesture, and I have the cards and a CD called “Women of Northeast Wreck Diving”, featuring Evelyn, June Kieser, Sally Wahrmann, and Deb Whitcraft. Having this one-on-one time with such a Star is definitely a lifetime memory!

I cannot thank Lowviz or his lovely wife enough for sharing a bit of their weekend with a traveling SB’er. I would love to say that I would dive with Lowviz in a heartbeat, but oh-hell-no! Water in the forties?!?!?! Good vis defined as at least 10’?!?!?! Nah, I’d love for him to dive with ME, because I’ve about determined that anything less than 60F is a NO-GO . . . :giggle: Again, heartfelt thanks for your time and riveting discussion. I hope I may entertain you and your wife in the future. :hugs:

Last edited:
Wow .. that was a wonderful trip , interesting histories all
.. and that you got to examine gear used and to talk with Evelyn is just too cool

Reactions: Jax
Great trip report Jax, thanks for sharing with us.

The whole day was an enormously rewarding experience, and once again, the SBer rocked it! Lowviz knew there were some souvenir photo cards of Evie and Jon with their proud find, and he asked Evie to autograph a couple for me!!! I was so touched by his gesture, and I have the cards and a CD called “Women of Northeast Wreck Diving”, featuring Evelyn, June Kieser, Sally Wahrmann, and Deb Whitcraft. Having this one-on-one time with such a Star is definitely a lifetime memory!

I got certified at DDD in 1984 and worked with Evelyn for years. June will be this year's recipient of the Beneath the Sea Pioneer of Northeast Diving Award

...//.... :laughing: The whole day (between tour stop-ins) was spent cussing and discussing the ins-and-outs of diving, the dive world, dive attitudes, to-DIR-or-not-to-DIR, and how blanking hard some of the simplest tasks could be! It was fabulous! :dance3: [BTW, we solved all the problems of the diving world, so you can close the Pub, now! :rofl3:] ...//...

-perfect summary. :D

It was a fun day spent with a fellow SB'er.

Wow Dennis, you had her up here and didn't send her over my way. Tsk Tsk:shakehead:. Sounds like a great day. I'm gonna have to mosey over there some day:cool2:.

And Evie is a great lady. As the first woman to dive the Doria she is one of my personal heroes. We met at DEMA and as a former (?) girl scout leader was very interested in the program I am doing for them in SW Pa.

And Jax you didn't think to make a little detour. You might have went home with some HOG schwag!

me and evie.jpg

Wow Dennis, you had her up here and didn't send her over my way. Tsk Tsk:shakehead:. Sounds like a great day. I'm gonna have to mosey over there some day:cool2:.

And Evie is a great lady. As the first woman to dive the Doria she is one of my personal heroes. We met at DEMA and as a former (?) girl scout leader was very interested in the program I am doing for them in SW Pa.

And Jax you didn't think to make a little detour. You might have went home with some HOG schwag!

Aw, man! :depressed: I'm just not used to hopping through States like I hop through counties, at home! "A State over" sounds like a long way! :laughing:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom