My underwater pictures are so blue. What do I need? A filter or a strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppatrick

Reaction score
Hello,
I just finished my first reef dive at Key Largo yesterday. All pictures I took underwater (using Sony W-1 with plastic housing) seemed to be SO BLUE (please see my avartar). What’s the most affordable way to improve the color? Adding a filter or using a strobe? Obviously, adding a filter would be cheaper but would it be as effective as using a strobe? I don’t plan to be an underwater photographer, but would like to have pictures at least as good as when taking land photo. ^_^ Please advice.

Thanks,
Patrick

Patrick -

A strobe. It's the only way you will approach what you are expecting. Don't skimp on the strobe, though you'll be tempted. Buy more than you think you need, or you'll be disappointed.

Also be aware that if your camera does not allow you to set your aperture, shutter and ISO manually then you will not really be able to achieve the results you are looking for:
at least as good as when taking land photos

Getting those sorts of results requires some practice and the right equipment. You can get some really nice shots without adding a strobe or a filter...but you will be very limited with the types of images you can create.

If you haven't already, have a look at the Pink Link in my signature. It's a compilation of many ideas and tips to help you start getting more from your images.

If your camera has a manual white balance, try setting it underwater by pointing at the sand. This will make a lot of difference in itself, no other equipment needed.
Of course, a strobe is good too..

Bob

I second what Bob said. I only recently bought a strobe and all my photos so far are taken with manual white balance. I carry a white slate with me and set w/b every two metres or so. If you dive in clear waters it really helps in depths around 5-20 metres. Below that you run out of red light (due to water) and will need a strobe. Anyway if you can do manual w/b give it a try. Piece of white plastic is quite a bit cheaper than a strobe :)

Sadly, for your bank account the only way to get shots "at least as good" as land is to go for the strobe.

With that said you can do some really good natural light work if you keep it shallow, get close and shoot on days with plenty of sun... best between 10A and 2P.

Also you can modify your shots when you get home using a package like Photoshop Elements. Think about shooting what your camera can do well.

With this said as others have said the only way to achieve that "magazine" look is with the right equipment and a great eye behind the lens... also shooting a lot (a bit of luck).

If you've got access to Photoshop there is a rather useful plugin that can semi correct the levels and produce fairly decent photos.

Works ok for blue photos, doesnt work so well for green water diving.

There are threads on here about it. The action is called "underwater.atn"

I agree with the others - if your camera has manual white balance , use that.
Otherwise check this out - http://www.magic-filters.com/

The Auto Magic is probably the one you want if you can't manual white balance.

alcina, thanks for the link. You've done a wonderful work compiling all those info. I'll have take some time reading all of it :)

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

Magic filters are a good low cost improvement if you can afford a strobe. You are a bit limited in depth with them, but they work nicely. As below:

163478864_6993af46d6.jpg

The Fantasea NanoFlash strobes for digicams are also a low-cost answer for macro and fish portraits. There are sets with the strobe, tray, arm, and sync cord starting at $174.

Jack

As said above, without a strobe and/or manual white balance capability you are left with two choices

1. Using the "Mandrake" process in Photoshop or PaintShop Pro to color correct your blue photos. The process is explained and the plugin is on my site at the two links in this post.

2. Get an "Auto Magic Filter" which will not allow you to use your internal strobe as the filter is inside the housing.

Back
Top Bottom