My Turn!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I finally got the chance to go diving again and I went out with Captain Jack and the crew of the Hakuna Matata. What a great day! As we were driving over to the harbor there was a beautiful, very bright rainbow pointing directly at the harbor. Talk about a good omen! and what a nice marina! Wide docks, very, clean...and the boats! Wow! There were some beauties there! There was this huge one from Alaska that had to be a 1-1.5million dollar vessel (if not more)...Just beautiful!

Anyway we get on board and Roger shows me around. The boat has two heads, very nice cabins, a nice common room...very comfortable. The set up/gear area is just enough for the 4 dive guest max that they are planning for.

We get underway and the sea conditions couldn't have been better for me...flat, flat, flat. At some point along the trip I did feel a bit sea sick but I went up front to the huge bow and spent some time there and all was good again. I even ate lunch and spent lots of time in the inside the air conditioned cabin (talk about going in style), playing with the dog!

As we are heading towards Makaha caverns Roger calls "Whales!" about 300 yards away from us (correct me on the distance please...I suck at that big time)a dive boat had two whales spouting directly at the stern, passing towards the bow...arching and flipping their fins. Last year I didn't get to see a whale and these were my first for this year. At that moment I would have liked to be on the other boat as I have never been that close to whales before :blinking: A little while later the chef spots 2 more....perfect!

We reach Makaha and take our time in getting ready to go in. On this dive we found a bunch of eels, a couple of turtles, some nudi's and the treat at the very end was a peacock flounder.....just looking at the bottom and all of a sudden it moved! That was a nice 60 minute dive.

Next came a nice long surface interval - with lunch and a nap :14: - then we did the other side of the caverns. Again we found eels, turtles and Roger found us a nice, about 6', white tip. She looked kinda pudgy to me - guessing she was pregnant. That was another great relaxing dive.

All in all I think this will be a very nice alternative to a regular two tank charter. As I mentioned in the other thread, it will not be something for everyone - but those that can afford it will be very pleased with what will be offered.

Captain Jack and Shelley, thanks again for taking me along on Saturday! I already made sure that we can do an overnighter next month!

Aloha,
Lisa

Glad you were able to join us this time Lisa. Shelley and I are looking forward to a weekend trip next month. Hope that you and Roger had a Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas everyone,

Jack and Shelley

Aloha All
Wow, that was a fun trip....great whales and all. The swell picked up a bit for the second dive, but we can call it a learning experience for our newer divers. It was especially great to get Lisa and I in the water together again. Her new work schedule is too hectic.
Aloha
Roger

Now that is what I call cruising in style. It could only be better if you lived on the boat.

Did you get any pics to share?? I'd love to see the nudi's. :)

Thanks :blush: It was really, really nice...can't wait till it all becomes official!
I left my UW camera at home because I hadn't been in the water for sooooo long I didn't want to over load myself....just wanted to enjoy the dive..

To my shame.....I did have my big camera along for topside stuff, but when I went to take pictures my camera said to me "NO CF CARD"....Roger told to me..."I brought my camera along, you can take all the pictures you want with that...when I turned his camera on it said "NO XD CARD".....:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom