My Tumbler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that looks so much better than the ones i see on ebay and other sites for 1000.00. i am currently working on mine . have a bunch of parts however the frame is the present holdback. i can see your design is superior to the others i have seen. nowq i know what i want for mine. this is just what diy is about

job well done.

Thanks. I wish it had the expensive gear motor, but I got this one for free...

Thanks. I wish it had the expensive gear motor, but I got this one for free...

i f you seriosly want one l et me see what i can fime for you i am looking for one for myself and i may have al source. said motor is the only improvement to your design i can think of. the gear motor to get the right rotational rate has been my downfall.

if i cant find a gearmotor is your motor a 3 phase if so i may be able to find a vfd and you can connect direct drive and very the rotational rate. btw what is your rotational rate on your set up.

Just out of curiosity, but what abrasive material works for tumbling tanks? DO you need to put it in some kind of fluid like water, or something more acidic? I'm not thinking of building a tumbler just yet, but was considering rolling my tanks back and forth between me and a buddy of mine.

This is on my list as well. I have an older 10 qt hobart mixer that fell off a table. It broke the cast steel frame and isn't possible to weld. I have thought about other ways to fix it, but it's just not worth it. So - in it's next life it will be a tank tumbler.

Hunter

Very cool tool. I gotta ask, though...How many tanks do you have to tumble? Not that I wouldn't want a tumbler myself, but I just opened my steel hundred for the first time in 5 years, and it looks like it did the day I put the valve in it inside. I made a booboo once and whipped aluminum tanks, then threw them away the next year. Do you have lots of friends to tumble for? I'm really not being a smartass, but I could never justify having one even though I have many many steel tanks.

Frank

Very cool tool. I gotta ask, though...How many tanks do you have to tumble? Not that I wouldn't want a tumbler myself, but I just opened my steel hundred for the first time in 5 years, and it looks like it did the day I put the valve in it inside. I made a booboo once and whipped aluminum tanks, then threw them away the next year. Do you have lots of friends to tumble for? I'm really not being a smartass, but I could never justify having one even though I have many many steel tanks.

Frank

You are not a DIYer are you.
You dont build things like this because you need to , you build them because some told you that you couldnt.

Good work 350!
Bet you couldnt build a rebreather though!

You are not a DIYer are you.
You dont build things like this because you need to , you build them because some told you that you couldnt.

Good work 350!
Bet you couldnt build a rebreather though!

LOL! Pack... But, there's the "couldn't" vs. the "having the balls to do it". I think the latter one applies to the rebreather more than anything.

Frank

I'd get use out of one yearly for O2 cleaning. But I agree my steels always look great on the inside.

Hunter

Just out of curiosity, but what abrasive material works for tumbling tanks? DO you need to put it in some kind of fluid like water, or something more acidic? I'm not thinking of building a tumbler just yet, but was considering rolling my tanks back and forth between me and a buddy of mine.

There are a lot of possibilities. I lot of folks go with ceramic media. You can get balls with very little cutting, cylinders with a bit more cutting, and other shapes as well.

Back
Top Bottom